Willie Taggart Is FSU’s New Football Coach

In a whirlwind of events that comprised Florida State’s fall 2017 semester, Jimbo Fisher’s departure as head football coach came as the icing on top of an unfortunate year. For the past month, rumors swirled around the college football community that Fisher would be leaving, and on December 1st the announcement was official.

“Today, Jimbo Fisher informed me he has accepted an offer to become the next head football coach at Texas A&M University,” FSU President Thrasher said in a statement. “I believe Texas A&M is getting one of the best coaches in college football.”

Willie Taggart, a Florida-native and former University of Oregon coach, has replaced him. His coaching career began at Western Kentucky from 2009 to 2012 where he led the Hilltoppers to an overall 16-20 record. From 2012 to 2016, he led the South Florida Bulls to a 24-25 record. And in his last year at Oregon, Taggart left the Ducks with a 7-5 season.

Taggart has brought each team he’s coached out of primarily losing seasons, and he is exactly the coach Florida State needs. Not only is he a profound football coach, but also he is an avid Seminole’s fan— and has been his whole life. Growing up in Palmetto, Florida, Taggart’s family practically lived and breathed Florida State Football. In his first press conference at Florida State, he emphasized just how much so.

Courtesy: Sports Illustrated

“Growing up in my household,” Taggart said. “If you weren’t a Noles fan, you probably weren’t staying in that house.”

Taking the head coaching position offered by Florida State was a dream come true for Willie Taggart, and it is that same passion and drive that is sure to lead the Seminoles to multiple victories in the 2018 season. His strategies for the upcoming season include “lethal simplicity” and “realignment”—not a rebuild— of the roster. As for recruits, Taggart is optimistic about what lies ahead. Just last week Taggart began those recruiting efforts to continue finding future Seminoles to help lead the team to victory and to fulfill his vision for Florida State football. “I know there’s a lot of Noles out there who want to be here,” Taggart said in his press conference. “We’re going to go out and find them.”

Courtesy: Tomahawk Nation

Even as a college football player himself, Willie Taggart kept tabs on Florida State. He dreamt of playing for Bobby Bowden in Tallahassee, and now he can proudly say he is coaching in the same stadium that Bowden’s legacy continues to live on. In addition to living out his dreams, Taggart’s presence on campus as FSU’s 10th full-time head football coach marks historical significance, too, as he is the second African American coach (following interim coach Odell Haggins) in program history.

The future is looking bright for Florida State’s football team, and for current students and alumni alike, this has lifted the dark cloud that has covered Florida State the past few weeks. We look forward to the years to come as Willie Taggart continues FSU’s legacy of Vires, Artes, Mores, both on and off the field.

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.