The Wildcats Are Back in Upcoming ‘High School Musical’ TV Show

After more than 10 years, it’s finally time to get our heads back in the game. Disney announced casting is currently taking place for a 10 episode series titled High School Musical: The Musical. The first look at details about the characters and creative plot twist has been released. Oliver Goldstick will serve as executive producer and Tim Federle will serve as a writer in addition to executive producer. While there is not an official premiere date yet, the show will air on Disney Channel’s streaming service launching in late 2019. I think we’re all ready for the start of something new!

Courtesy: Disney Channel

High School Musical: The Musical will be taking a vastly different approach from the three beloved films of the popular Disney franchise that first came to life in 2006. Entertainment Weekly reports that the TV series will be in the style of a documentary. The show will follow a group of East High students staging a performance of High School Musical for their own winter showcase. These Wildcats will learn drama takes place on more than just the stage. The meta take on the show will introduce new characters and songs to a new generation of High School Musical fans.

Descriptions of the roles casting director Julie Ashton is filling have been released.  There are eight recurring characters in the series. Disney provided in-depth descriptions of all eight characters, but the “stars” of the new show and the musical within it have captured our attention. Here are three of their character descriptions straight from the casting call:

RICKY – A snarky sweetheart, a B-minus student, and our star. Ricky’s been dating fellow junior Nini for a year. When she unexpectedly breaks up with Ricky, he launches a bold plan to get Nini back — by auditioning to star opposite her in the school’s production of High School Musical. Ricky’s class-clowning covers a deep fear that he’s not actually great at anything, except coasting by on charm. Constantly attempting get-rich-quick schemes with best friend and fellow skater Big Red. Stays up too late bingeing GoPro stunt videos on YouTube. Voted “Most likely to sleep through his alarm.”

NINI – The other star. Formerly relegated to the chorus of her school’s musicals, Nini just got back from summer camp, where she found her voice – and confidence — playing the lead in The Music Man. Unfortunately, Nini also found a new boyfriend at camp. Drama. Fiercely loyal to her two moms, she’s stronger than she first appears: an iron butterfly. Never misses American Idol and The Voice (only after doing her homework, natch) and takes hour-long showers to sing Ariana Grande’s entire catalog. Voted “Most likely to have a Hamilton lyric as her senior quote.”

E.J. – Nini’s new love interest, the type of ambitious entrepre-nerd who brings homemade props to auditions. Don’t cross E.J. if you get something he wants — like a starring role, opposite “his” girl Nini. The son of two high-powered corporate attorneys, E.J. is supremely confident but secretly prone to anxiety attacks when anything goes off-plan. A future producer more than an actor, E.J. calls the Steve Jobs biography his “bible” and keeps a copy on his nightstand. Voted “Most likely to report another student for cheating on a test.

Courtesy: The Alloy

The cast and characters of the original three movies will not be followed in the TV series, breaking hearts. It appears as though the original characters will not be making an appearance at all. There is no replacing fan favorites Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) or Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) but, as Ms. Darbus taught us in the original movies, “that’s show biz.”

Even though the original characters won’t be returning to the TV screen, we can look forward to hearing renditions of our favorite High School Musical songs. Each episode is said to include one song from the films and one original. Who knows, maybe the new music will bop to the top of our list of most memorable HSM tunes.

Her Campus at Florida State University.