Why You Should Watch “Homecoming King” Before Pow Wow

Over the summer, one of the best stand-up comedy specials was released on Netflix. In his first stand-up special, Hasan Minhaj told stories about growing up as a first-generation immigrant and the universal struggle of prom. While Minhaj isn’t widely known for his stand-up comedy, this comedy special can certainly change that. With brilliant social commentary, Minhaj is on his way to being one of the most brilliant comics of our generation.

You may know Hasan Minhaj from the Daily Show or from hosting the White House Correspondents’ Dinner this past year, or maybe even from the Pizza Hut ad he did when he was starting out. This special comes as a bit of a shock after the satirical comedy viewers are used to with Minhaj. The best way to describe the special is “real.” There is no over-the-top satirical commentary or any sarcasm to distract you from blatant commentary on the treatment of immigrants in America.

Courtesy: The New Yorker

Throughout the special, Minhaj firmly defines himself as an American. He quickly defines the differences between his immigrant parents and himself who was born in America. Through the different stories and situations, Minhaj highlights how he and other children of immigrants feel about society and their country. He combines this commentary with performance and showmanship that mesmerizes the viewer and keeps them engaged even as he delves into tough topics.

Since the beginning of the 2016 election, America has been divided and high strung. We have let our political beliefs create tension and anger in our society. A lot of it culminating around immigrants and who has a right to be in this country. That is why Minhaj is such an important comedian right now. Comedy has always broken through political barriers and shown a different perspective and narrative than mainstream media. As a compelling storyteller, Minhaj possesses the skills to help shift the attitude of the nation. If you aren’t watching, then you are missing out.

Hasan Minhaj will be performing at FSU’s Pow Wow on Nov. 17. He will be opening for Hannibal Buress in a night of what should be some of the best comedy to grace FSU’s campus. General admission tickets are up for sale now but information about student tickets will be released soon. Be sure not to miss it!

Advertising major from Jacksonville, Florida who never grew out of her Jonas Brothers phase
Her Campus at Florida State University.