Have you recently been accepted to Florida State University (FSU) and are not sure if it’s the right school for you? Well now you have the perfect opportunity to hear from a few students on why they chose FSU, their experiences thus far and some advice for incoming freshmen. 

Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Maya York, a 19-year-old freshman majoring in criminology. Maya shared with me that FSU was her top choice, and she was very excited when she received her acceptance letter last year. “I fell in love with FSU when I came on a tour with my high school. I felt this immediate connection and from that point, I knew that this was the school for me,” she stated. Choosing the right college is an important decision. There are numerous factors to consider such as academics, location, cost, school size and campus environment.

Maya went on to say that her top reason for choosing to attend Florida State was because FSU’s criminology program ranks among the best in the country. FSU is dedicated to providing excellent academics to all students, which is why the university is ranked in the top 20 of the best colleges in the U.S. Before ending my interview with Maya, she had this to say: “When it comes to choosing a college, make sure you look at everything that college has to offer because the next four years will be an investment in your future. So make sure you pick a college that cares about your future as much as you do.”

Girls
Unsplash
The one downside about choosing any college is leaving your family and friends back home. This was especially hard for Bianca Bennett, a sophomore from Miami, Florida. Bianca revealed that her first semester was a hard transition as she had never spent more than a week away from her family before heading off to college. “For nearly two months I would go to class and then back to my dorm room. I was nervous to talk to people because I was so used to being around my family and friends from back home,” she shared. But one day her roommate asked if she wanted to go to the Student Life Center to watch a movie. That day she decided to come out of her shell, and she’s glad that she did.

FSU is not only dedicated to helping students achieve academic success but wanting students to have a social life as well. Florida State has over 750 student organizations on campus with many areas of interest. There are a variety of clubs surrounding academics, science, sports, volunteering, music, fashion, writing and if there isn’t a club already dedicated to your interest, you can create one. There is a place for everyone including all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations and religions. Bianca shared that she joined the film club, which is where she met her two best friends, and now Tallahassee feels more like home. Bianca’s advice for incoming freshmen is to “don’t be afraid to branch out and try new things. Trying new things is the exciting part of college.”  

Two students sitting in the grass talking and studying LLC article
Photo by Keira Burton from Pexels
“Coming to Florida State was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made,” said Taylor Reed, a third-year nursing student from Gainesville. She shared with me that since her time at FSU, she has had lots of personal and professional growth. “For the three years I’ve been at Florida State I have not only received a great education, but I’ve also joined some great organizations where I gained professional skills. College is the place to make professional and social connections,” Taylor said.

During our interview, Taylor shared that she is thankful for the Career Center because they helped her find and prepare for a nursing internship that she was offered this summer. Florida State’s Career Center is just one of the many campus resources that aim to get students involved and connected. The Career Center’s purpose is to serve students in any professional way, whether it be by assisting students in building their resumes; scheduling mock interviews; finding internships, part-time jobs, volunteer experiences; or preparing for life after graduation. “I chose FSU because I saw how much they value the success of students,” Taylor said. She shared a piece of advice for incoming freshmen: “Take full advantage of campus resources. They are there to help you.”

Deciding where you will spend the next four years earning your college degree is not a light decision. But for 22-year-old Hope Robbins, it was an easy choice. The Tallahassee native expressed that she grew up in a house filled with Seminole pride as her parents are Alumni of FSU. “I’m excited yet sad that this is my last semester in college,” Hope said. “There are many things that I will miss. My favorite thing was going to the football games at Doak stadium, doing the Tomahawk Chop, cheering and screaming for my team.”

Florida State has many traditions that students have participated in for many years and walking around campus, you are reminded of the history, pride and tradition that comes along with being a Seminole. Hope shared a popular tradition that she got to be a part of, which was being thrown into the Westcott Fountain on her 21st birthday. This tradition of having your friends toss you into the Westcott fountain is a special way for students to celebrate their 21st birthday. No other university has a tradition like this one. Hope had this to say for incoming freshmen: “Make memories and enjoy every moment because it’s going to go by quickly.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Keira is a sophomore pursuing an Editing, Writing & Media degree with a minor in Media Communications. She loves fashion, traveling, and going for runs.
Her Campus at Florida State University.