Why You Should Be More Concerned About the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

We’re going to need something bigger than a trash can. 

There is an enormous pool of plastic waste floating in the Pacific Ocean between California and Hawaii, with an equivalent amount of material to 6,500 school buses. This stretch of garbage spreads over 1.6 million square kilometers (yes, it’s larger than it sounds). Unfortunately, the hoard is now almost 16 times as heavy as past estimates. Scientists assess that there are about 1.8 trillion pieces of plastic that make up the region, 94 percent of them are particles smaller than half a centimeter, called microplastics. Large to extra-large pieces make up 25 to 53 percent of the estimated patch mass. Much of this plastic comes from humans’ ocean activities, such as shipping and fishing. Almost half of the total mass is from discarded fishing nets and ropes, which are made out of materials designed to survive in marine environments.

Recently, scientists took new samples and aerial images in order to obtain more accurate and updated data concerning the large patch. This new information provided more definite measurements and tallies of the larger plastic pieces. Scientists believe that this could account for the increase in mass over past estimates, which previously relied on trawling data and images taken from boats, in addition to computer simulations. Another possible explanation for the influx in mass: the patch grew from the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan and washed an abundance of trash out to sea.

Researchers sorted the plastic particles by size and type. These types include hard plastics, thin sheets, nets, ropes and foam. Based on these new estimates, the large mass is mostly made up of large particles bigger than 50 centimeters, the majority being fishing nets and ropes.

Courtesy: L. Lebreton/ Scientific Reports 2018

It is imperative that we do what we can to avoid the growth of this garbage patch. Not only is this harmful to marine life, but to human life as well. This poses a safety and health threat. Marine animals frequently confuse the plastic for food, causing malnutrition. They’re at risk for entanglement and their overall health, behavior, and existence is endangered. Since 84 percent of this plastic is found to have at least one Persistent Bio-accumulative Toxic (PBT) Chemical, animals consuming this debris are also consuming these harmful toxins.

To ensure that we don’t add to this poignant issue, we must do our part to live “green.” Be mindful of where you discard your trash, and how much plastic you use in your everyday life. Use reusable containers and bottles, recycle in the proper bins, and avoid straws! It’s shocking how oblivious we are to how often we use these things until we become conscious of our choices. We only have one giant hunk of rock floating out in space to call home, and it’s in our best interest to take care of it as best we can.

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.