Career

Why I Changed My Major (and Why You Might Need To, Too)

It’s kind of crazy that society expects us to know what we want to do with the rest of our lives straight out of high school. Colleges say you don’t need to know right away and can enter as undecided, but it still feels like it matters to them and everyone else. At 17-years-old, I was going through a midlife crisis about this, but I wasn’t of midlife crisis age. All of my life, I knew I wanted to go into law or government. I was obsessed with politics and social activism, and I watched 24/7 news channels religiously. So why did I enter college as a nursing major? Lots of doubts and insecurities.

woman wearing graduation cap
Photo by Brett Jordan from Unsplash
During my senior year of high school, my life changed a lot. Throughout that school year, I began to question everything I had once been so sure about. The decision about what I wanted to do with my life was no exception. I thought I wanted to do law, but the uncertainty of the career started to scare me a lot. I knew it could be hard to get into law school and how expensive it was. And, even if I finished law school, how soon could I find a job? I knew the job market was one that could be hard to enter. So I chose the “easy” way out. I put quotations around easy because nursing is not easier than being in a major on track to enter law school. It is probably so much harder, and I learned this the hard way. I say easy because I knew I could probably memorize stuff, and somewhat of a passion for the field, and could find a job fairly quickly.

It was evident how hard I was going to have to work for this degree during my freshman year of college. I survived with a pretty good GPA, but it took lots of work, tears and indecisiveness. (Side note: In one way, I am grateful for the lessons these nursing prerequisites forced me to learn. As someone who was always generally good at school, you can imagine how big of a blow it was to me to find it difficult or when I got a bad grade. I was one who did not have to deal with failure often, and in the few instances that I did, I had no clue how to deal with it. Nursing forced me to deal with it. It forced me to bounce back and come back 100 times harder.) Although I survived, a part of me was defeated. A part of my motivation was gone, and upon the end of the first semester of sophomore year, all of it was gone. I was tired and so unhappy.

Law school background photo
Photo by Tingey Injury Law Firm from Unsplash
It wasn’t until I’d had this gut feeling 1000 times that I finally listened to it. I knew that I was almost done and would soon be applying for nursing school, but I also knew that my heart was no longer in it in the same way I once thought it was. I finally got the courage to change my major to international affairs and continue my minor in political science. Yesterday, I officially registered for my first international affairs classes. Anyone that has been on this journey with me knows how big of a step this is for me. And while I know this field doesn’t have guaranteed job security, it feels worth it to take the chance.

To all of those in that major for the wrong reasons, whether due to pressure from outsiders, financial gain or something else, get out of it. Do what you want to do. It is not too late. Listen to your gut and follow your instincts. You know what is best for you! Have the courage to pursue the things you are actually passionate about and I promise you will be so much happier and motivated.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

a nursing major with a passion for writing :)!!
Her Campus at Florida State University.