Why I Always Look Forward to Going Home for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays (besides Christmas). There is just something about the holiday that makes me so excited! After a long semester of stressing out and worrying about my assignments, there is nothing more exciting than seeing my parents when I arrive home for Thanksgiving break. Just the thought of being able to hug my mom and dad after such a long time is the best feeling in the world. Besides seeing my parents, after months and months of being away from them, the other thing that I look forward to is seeing my dog. Every time I go home, Annie, my miniature schnauzer, always waits for me in front of the door and greets me with kisses. She is the most precious dog I’ve ever owned and she just fills my heart with joy and laughter.  Just seeing her makes me miss home even more.  

If you are a college student studying away from home, you get to see your old friends that stayed back home, too. One of the things I look forward to the most is seeing my best friends. I get to see them and tell them all of my adventures that have happened throughout this semester at Florida State and hang out with them since I have not seen them for weeks. I always invite them over to my house to catch up and watch movies.

Courtesy: Kimberly Wong

However, some people don’t like going home for Thanksgiving. I don’t think the same way. I believe Thanksgiving is a holiday that you should celebrate with your family and friends. It’s about giving thanks for everything you have and being grateful for your life. Not to mention, one of the perks of going back home for Thanksgiving is that you don’t have to do your own laundry. Another advantage of going home is that there is free and good food.

As the semester approaches its end, you realize that your budget is low, which means you can’t go out to eat as often as you did in the beginning. During Thanksgiving break, you’re back home and your mom always has food ready for you, so you never have to spend money and you’re never starving. Another perk is that there is a significant amount of leftovers. After Thanksgiving Day, there is so much food that there are always leftovers that last over a week or two. So, I never have to worry what I’m going to eat because I know when I open the fridge, there will be food for me to eat (and usually leftovers taste better the day after).

Lastly, going back home, for me, has its privileges. I get to go shopping with my mom and buy new clothes. I’m able to choose anything that I want without my mom telling me that the price is too high. Since I don’t get to see her very often, she always takes me shopping to make up for the days I haven’t seen her (and also to spend time with her). It’s our thing. By the end of Thanksgiving, I always feel stress-free and relaxed. I’m able to go back to school without being worried — until I realize how much work I have to do when I get back!

Courtesy: Country Living

Senior at Florida State University Majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish & Communications.
Her Campus at Florida State University.