It seems that Florida State won’t be playing the University of Miami as early in the season as initially planned. Due to the damages of Hurricane Irma, the ACC rescheduled the date for the UM vs. FSU football game to Oct. 7, 2017, at the Doak Campbell Stadium.  

Most students are looking forward to this rivalry game because apart from Florida State playing with University of Florida, this game is also one of the biggest and most highly anticipated of the season. Many students are looking forward to the crazy tailgates, taking pictures with the famous ice lodges, attending the game, having friends come up to visit, going out to eat, seeing the stadium full and most importantly having fun! Tallahassee will be packed when this weekend comes and it will be filled with raging football fans across different schools, everyone coming together as one.

So, why does this game matter?

The first UM vs. FSU game dates back to Oct. 5, 1951, the rivalry began after UM won. The series has consistently drawn very high television ratings since that day and every year the game keeps getting better and better, with the 2006 game being the most watched game in history. It has brought along many traditions for fans. For instance, on the day of the game usually the tailgates last for the entire day since most of the games are scheduled at night and by the time you arrive at the stadium you can see raging football fans chanting “ F – L – O – R – I – D –A S – T – A- T- E, Florida State, Florida State, Woooo!!!” which brings emotional energy to the crowd and motivation to win. 

Another reason is that last time the UM vs. FSU game was in Tallahassee a car was set on fire and it is a long tradition of pride rivalry. Everyone is just so happy to be a part of history and sharing memories with friends and family that nothing else matters. Feeling the energy around you gives you ecstasy and pride to attend one of the best schools in the country.

Courtesy: Pinterest​

Florida State has won the past 7 games and we are hoping to win another one this year. Many are looking forward to attending this game and are already making reservations to hotels so they are able to go. To prepare for this game make sure to sleep well the night before because this day is a heck of a long ride. Every minute counts during a football game, especially ones that include two big teams (which means don’t blackout too early). Make sure to have your outfits out, cameras, tickets, IDs because this day a lot of crazy things might happen. Always be prepared and get ready for one of the best games of the season!!! Remember to get your student tickets the Sunday before that game weekend!  

Senior at Florida State University Majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish & Communications.
Her Campus at Florida State University.