Why Finals During Lockdown Can Be a Good Thing

Add the stress of this global Pandemic leaving us glued to our homes paired with academic pressure and you get a mess. Honestly, it’s been tough keeping up with online classes and trying to maintain my grades when literally my entire schedule shifted and morphed into the online world. However, I do see one silver lining in this, and it’s honestly something I never thought I’d say: finals. Finals week has always been notorious for leaving everyone on edge running on two hours of sleep per day, making it impossible to find a seat at any library and making you wait in crazy lines at Starbucks for some much-needed caffeine. Finals being shifted online pretty much takes away all of that. Although I do miss the FSU environment even with the craziness of finals week, I can find some perks in this new era of online finals.

A way less high-pressured test taking environment

Now that we can take these exams from the comfort of our homes, it takes a huge amount of pressure from finals week in general. Whether you want to be cozied up on the couch or even cut up a snack to eat during the exam, it beats sitting on a cold desk with everyone’s stress and anxiety clouding the room and the ticking clock making you even more nervous. If you’re someone that struggles with testing anxiety, online exams definitely offer you a lot of relief. Although some exams may still be timed, some may not be and that also offers a lot of stress relief in itself, allowing you to really take your time which increases your chances of doing better.

No more endlessly roaming Stroz or Dirac for a study spot

Everyone knows that during finals week, it’s pretty much impossible to land a seat at any library. Everyone is glued to their chairs studying and there’s a slim to none chance they’re going to give it up any time soon. It can be annoying to find a good spot to study, and honestly, the environment in which you study makes all the difference. Now, we can study from the comfort of our homes (I mean, we have no other option). But there are perks to this: comfort, stability and no distraction from friends. However, if you’re someone who can’t study in your room due to temptations such as falling asleep or just watching TV, switch it up and maybe find a good spot outside or on your porch, an office area in your home or even the dining table.

Time to de-stress and calm anxiety before and after finals

Now that we have literally all the time in the world to study and prepare for finals, this also means we need to take the time to mentally prepare and take extra care of our physical and mental health. Whether it be taking a hot bath, doing a face mask, at-home workouts or just catching up on sleep, taking time to de-stress and not just focus on finals 24/7 is something that there is now no excuse to not do.

No more endless lines at Starbucks

Whether it be Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or whatever your preferred coffee shop of choice is, chances were it was packed the week of finals. Even on a regular week these places are always packed so with finals it’s ten times worse. Now, this is one less stressor we have to deal with. From Postmates to a quick drive to the nearest drive-thru, you’ve got your coffee fix… just remember to bring your gloves and mask if you’re hitting the drive-thru.

They’re a distraction from the current state of the world

It can be easy to get caught up in the messy conditions of the world right now. Studying for your finals can be a good way to still feel some sense of normalcy in your life and get your mind off all the crazy stressful things going on right now.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Em is a junior from Miami double majoring in psychology and English: editing, writing, & media. Writing, fashion, and astrology are some of her interests and she hopes to pursue a degree in fashion ujournalism.
Her Campus at Florida State University.