Why Abercrombie & Fitch Deserves a Second Chance

I challenge you to think back to your days in middle school and remember what you wore.  I’m sure plenty of items from dEliA’s, anchorblue, Hollister and Limited Too come to mind. If you’re anything like me, you haven’t thought about those names in what seems like forever. But I’m here to tell you that while some stores from our braces-lined past are dead and gone, it seems that one brand is trying to make a comeback.  I’m sure you’d never guess that Abercrombie & Fitch is on the rise. They’ve kicked out their CEO, Mike Jeffries, and completely rebranded. Don’t know who he is? He’s the one that said, “That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people.” If that’s not a great indication as to why people didn’t like him, I don’t know what is.  

Some have said that the best option for Abercrombie is to be bought out and transformed, but it seems that they’ve already transformed themselves into the minimalist’s dream. With a little faux-suede, ripped denim and an effortless flair, Abercrombie has the potential to rival the likes of J.Crew and Zara.  They’ve refocused the brand on what they’re calling “the new classics,” a grouping of good basics that honestly everyone needs and will want in their closet. Their prices are still in the barely affordable range, unless you’re selling your organs on the black market. Okay, so that was an exaggeration, but I’m sure you feel me on not wanting to pay $30 for a flannel shirt. If you are willing to spend the money on a solid group of good basics and trendy pieces, then I highly suggest investing in some of their items. Not only are they attractive and nicely made, they also have the effortlessness us women are constantly searching for. Everyone wants the “I just threw this on but of course I look flawless” thing going on and that’s exactly what Abercrombie is offering. Gone are days of moose patterns and awkward floral skirt and sneaker combo’s; the new Abercrombie is here and hopefully it’s here to stay.  The new Abercrombie encourages their girl to up her standards “with a palette of cool colors worked into clean designs, rich with neutral texture and tonal accents.” They’re embracing the unpretentious, not-so-serious, minimalist, normcore direction of our generation and I don’t know about you, but I’m digging it. I’ve taken the liberty of picking out a few pieces that caught my eye and that I feel will really convince you that A&F deserves a little pit stop during your online shopping spree.  So, without further adieu here are my favorite Abercrombie picks for fall:

The Button Front Skirt & The Leather Skirt

Not only are both of these options super on-trend right now, but they’ve also made one that is of quality, which is honestly hard to find without shelling out a good $100 (not to mention these are both on sale). They’re amazingly easy to dress up or down and they definitely don’t scream glitter lip-gloss young or unsophisticated. Both come in black and brown. Get them here and here.

Ripped Boyfriend & Girlfriend Jeans

Okay, so they didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel here, but despite the rather high price, these jeans are of solid quality. Unless there is some Levi factory in Tallahassee that I don’t know about, these are by far the best fitting and sturdiest jeans in the tri-country area. Boyfriend jeans (left) are a huge favorite; they’re the relaxed, broken in, looser-fitting jeans that are the perfect pair to Birkenstocks and a breezy top.  Girlfriend jeans (right), however, may be a new term for you and are the more feminine “girlfriend” pant, which sits higher on the hips, is slightly tighter, and has a slim, straight leg. These are amazing for those who want a tighter fit with the relaxed style. They’re best paired with wedges for a night out or Keds for class. Abercrombie has done them both very right and admittedly their denim has always been on point. Get these jeans here and here.

The Little Black Dress

Their dress game is pretty solid and feels like a mix of American Eagle and Urban Outfitters, which is perfectly fine with me. They’ve got cute options that range from date night perfection to class day flawlessness. Everyone needs a good old LBD and A&F might just be the place to stock up. Get these dresses and see many of their other options here.

A Few Other Things

These are just items that I thought were awesome or just plain cute and I hope will further prove my case and bring you over to the Fitch side. Happy Shopping!

All images Courtesy: Abercrombie & Fitch

Janecia Britt, originally from Tampa, FL is a junior at Florida State who’s enchanted by all things fashion, interior design and art. Majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communication, she has big goals to move to NYC after graduation. She's a brand ambassador for eff.y.bee jewelry, a member of the Victoria Secret PINK Street Team and a Lady SpiritHunter! When she’s not writing for HerCampus, she is baking, crafting and cooking for her friends. You can find her taking Step and Pilates classes at the Leach or canvassing all the boutiques of Tallahassee. She’s a busy bee but puts her heart and soul into everything she does (including her infamous desserts).
Her Campus at Florida State University.