Wide shot of Dua Lipa in a convertible with the moon in the upper left background
Hugo Comte

Who Will Win the Album of the Year?

Just a few weeks ago, the Recording Academy announced that the nominations for the 63rd Grammy Awards will be released on Nov. 24. Stans and casual music listeners alike rejoiced at this official announcement for the day in which they will know what to expect for this year’s most anticipated music awards. For months now, music publications have been releasing what they believe will be the leading contenders for the big categories such as Album of the Year. Here’s everything you need to know. 

Starting off with Record of the Year, there is a healthy mix of artists and music styles. Both Variety and Forbes agree that The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights” has a very high possibility of receiving a nomination after having broken the record for weeks atop Billboard‘s all-format Radio Songs airplay chart. Following that, Dua Lipa’s “Don’t Start Now” is mentioned. Forbes writer Hugh McIntyre believes that despite not having topped the Billboard Top 100, the Recording Academy has expressed affinity towards her music so she will likely receive a nod. Billboard mentions other possible nominations are Post Malone’s “Circles,” Maren Morris’ “The Bones” and Roddy Ricch’s “The Box.” 

The next highly coveted category is Best New Artist. Variety and Billboard both include Summer Walker as one of the best bets for this category. Following that, Variety brings up possible qualms with Doja Cat receiving a nomination due to her possibly being “canceled” because of some of her previous remarks. Billboard does bring up the fact her remix with Nicki Minaj, a previous Best New Artist nominee herself, which hit number one on the Billboard Top 100. Billboard then lists Megan Thee Stallion, Ingrid Andress, Gabby Barnett, Rex Orange County and a few others as ones to watch in this category. 

Following that, there is the category of Song of the Year. There are some overlaps from the Record of the Year category in terms of the leading contenders being The Weeknd, Post Malone and Maren Morris. Billboard then suggests that Harry Styles’ “Adore You” may be one of the best bets. They also believe that The Chicks, Selena Gomez and Alicia Keys may have a chance in this category as well. 

Fine line album cover

Finally, is the most debated and anticipated category: Album of the Year. Once again, The Weeknd’s album is the top contender. Variety considers his album After Hours to be practically a shoo-in. Faith is also placed in Post Malone and his album Hollywood’s Bleeding after having logged five nonconsecutive weeks in the Billboard 200. Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters is also up in the top contenders, having one of the top Metacritic scores of albums released this year but also the first 10 rating from Pitchfork in multiple years. Dua Lipa and Harry Styles are also mentioned as ones that have a good chance in this category.

Following that, Variety brings up doubts about what may happen with Taylor Swift’s folklore. Her past two albums, reputation and Lover, were not nominated for this category despite having high sales and charting numbers. Variety does believe, though, that the fact Swift wrote and released this album during the height of the pandemic may be enticing to the Academy. Finally, Billboard brings up that it is possible for more than one country release to be included in this category for the first time ever in Grammy history. They then mention Luke Combs’ What You See Is What You Get and The Highwomen’s self-titled album as the country albums to watch. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Alana Torres is an alumnus of Florida State. She majored in Business Management and Marketing. She loves all genres of books and music. Other than reading with her current hyper-fixation playlist, Alana can be found scrolling on Instagram or making funky earrings.
Her Campus at Florida State University.