Which Thanksgiving Food You Are Based on Your College Major

With Thanksgiving Day right around the corner, my favorite filling dishes have been the only thing on my mind lately. Being able to finally eat some non-microwaved foods with my family members fills me with a joy that is hard to describe. Every year, it seems that I take the holiday as a challenge to how many spoonfuls of mac and cheese I can fit in my mouth. Or pumpkin pie. Maybe both?

However, it’s hard to focus on the excitement of the holiday when I have so much work to do before fall break officially comes. When break officially comes, I will be sure to put “no more homework” on my list of things I’m thankful for.

As a distraction from the taxing times of pre-Thanksgiving break exams and homework, why not play a holiday game, college-style? From the tender meat to the sweet desserts, these are the top traditional Thanksgiving foods as based on your major.

Turkey as theatre majors

Ahh… the main event of the evening, Mrs. Turkey. Being a former theatre kid, I have a soft spot in my heart for Theatre majors. It’s probably the same size as the seemingly bottomless pit I gain in my stomach on Thanksgiving Day.

Theatre students are always the main event, even if they don’t mean to be. They seem to just have an aura around them that attracts everyone, similar to the strong aroma that draws people to the grand turkey of the night. Honestly, I think they both love it, too. They all secretly know that they’re the “it-girls” of wherever they are, and they’re proud of it.

Stuffing as ENGINEERING majors

Stuffing is the perfect dish to describe Engineering majors. Similar to how no one truly understands what’s in stuffing, nobody really understands what Engineering majors are all about. There are so many different types from biochemical engineering all the way to civil engineering, and I couldn’t really tell you exactly what they do.

Stuffing, at least for me, was extremely daunting for a long time. My eight-year-old self would avert the stuffing side of the table as if it would come alive if I got too close. Engineering majors experience a similar feeling but with their homework. I have never met a non-swamped Engineering major; it seems that they’re always knee-deep in some projects.

Mashed potatoes as business majors

Mashed potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving food, as well as the perfect side dish for any other event. You can never go wrong with some mashed potatoes. They are a staple at any Thanksgiving dinner, similar to Business majors at any university. Everyone knows at least one Business major.

With business being the top major at most colleges, it can seem a bit generic to many. However, when made special, it absolutely shines. Business majors, like mashed potatoes, are very adaptable to their environment and can apply their strengths to almost any situation.

Thanksgiving ham as political science majors

Thanksgiving ham wants to be the main event but is always outshined by the turkey. As a Political Science major, I can affirm that this is true for us too. Have you ever heard of a silent Political Science major? They always have something to say, whether or not it’s actually important — and this is coming from one.

When you eventually try your Thanksgiving ham, you realize it’s not so bad. It’s actually fantastic! Especially the honey-baked ham; that’s the good stuff. I feel like everyone has a political science friend, and they’re always great people! While I may be biased, a good Thanksgiving ham can bring you the same joy as a Political Science major buddy.

Gravy as sports management majors

I don’t know if it’s just me, but every time I go to the gravy section of the serving table, I know I will always find some jacked guy waist-deep in his beloved brownish-grayish sauce. It’s like a competition of who can grab the most amount of gravy humanly possible. With the competitiveness of all Sports Management majors, I can assure you it truly is a competition in their minds. And they will not lose. Ever.

cornbread as psychology majors

Cornbread is definitely a hit-or-miss with a lot of people. But based on the amount of cornbread you take on Thanksgiving, a Psychology major will be sure to psychoanalyze your inner issues on that factor alone. And they’ll probably be correct.

mac and cheese as education majors

Mac and cheese is my personal comfort food, and the first thing I bee-line towards when we begin Thanksgiving dinner. It is so warm, soft, and comforting, similar to every single Education major I have ever met. Every time I meet a new education major, I wish I was a kindergartner again back in their class. They are the sweetest and most soothing people you will meet in college, and all the kids they will teach one day are very lucky.

sweet potato casserole as interior design majors

Sweet potato casserole is known for its sweetness. I mean, it’s in the name. Interior Design majors also happen to be some of the sweetest people, despite the massive amounts of stress they have on their shoulders (they always have some giant 3D project of a living room to finish).

I’ve also seen so many students’ interior design Instagram pages show up on my suggested following page. They’re always so aesthetically pleasing, just like the look of sweet potato casserole, especially when it has marshmallows on top! It looks so soft and plushy yet extremely yummy. Whenever people work on a sweet potato casserole or interior design project, I feel like I’m watching a professional on a show, whether it’s HGTV or Food Network.

cranberry sauce as art majors

Cranberry sauce is oddly very controversial. Either you love it or you absolutely despise it. This is similar to Art majors; not everyone can be one. Majoring in art takes a very special person, and that person is not many people on a college campus. This sauce requires the refined palette of an Art major in order to truly dissect the delectable notes of… probably cranberry.

pumpkin pie as english majors

English majors are the absolute queens of fall, and their reign shall never fall. Being able to sit on a field and just write poems in your journal screams pumpkin pie. They give me Gilmore Girls vibes constantly, and I absolutely adore it. I’m pretty sure they secretly eat pumpkin pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in order to keep the fall vibes going 24/7.

thanksgiving charcuterie board as pre-med/science

Like a hectic charcuterie board, Pre-Med/Science majors are all over the place all the time. They seem to have endless amounts of one-credit three-hour labs and five-hour-long homework. Somehow, they keep it all together, like in a nice little charcuterie board. They even have the inedible fake leaves in there for decoration.

They’re also always the first people you meet on campus, just like how the Thanksgiving charcuterie is the first thing everyone takes a bit of once they arrive at the designated Thanksgiving house. And they’re all so different — some students are more cheesy, some meaty, and some nutty. You’ll get a bit of everything with this major.

After reviewing some of the best foods of the turkey season, I think it’s safe to say that we’re all ready for Thanksgiving already. Only a few more microwaveable mac-and-cheeses to go!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Reese Hrannarsson is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University chapter. She writes bi-weekly articles surrounding personal, culture, and campus topics. Beyond Her Campus, Reese is the Director of Finance for Florida State University's Women Student Union and the Secretary for the Women In Government club. She is a sophomore majoring in Political Science and Economics and is interested in working in government. In her free time, Reese enjoys going biking and spending time with family and friends. She also loves travelling and hopes to travel to every U.S. capital.