Where To Get a Good Drink When Y-Bombs Aren’t Cutting It

We all went through the phase of being newly 21—we would be super excited and go to all the popular college bars in Tallahassee. We’d get Y-Bombs at Yianni’s, go to Township and Madso and maybe even Recess if you’re really a partier. But let’s all be honest here, if you have more than two taste buds, we all know those drinks taste like you scraped whatever was spilled on the floor into a glass and served it (no offense, Township), and they’re certainly not worth their buck.

So, if you’re not 21-years-old with bad taste anymore and you want an actually good drink with good vibes to match, here are a few of my favorite bars in town. (Disclaimer, of course: Due to COVID-19, going to bars is not the safest thing to do right now, so be safe, be cautious and be mindful of everyone around you. And, as always, wear your mask!)

1. Proof

Pexels

Proof is one of the more popular bars on the list amongst old college folks. Home to its own brewery, Proof Brewing Company holds a wide variety of craft beers of your choice—malty, sour, hops, lager, whatever your heart desires; and if you’re not sure what your tastes are, they have a tasting room for you to test out some of their most popular flavors. One of the most interesting things about this place is the fact that when you walk in, there’s a glass wall behind the bar where you can see them brewing the beer! And if beer isn’t your forte, they also have a selection of cocktails, from margarita to red and white sangrias. Chill out in their hipster-friendly lounge or spend some time on their outdoor patio (where you can bring your pooch too!).

2. 926

If you’re looking for the gay scene in town, 926 Bar & Grill is your first stop. Tallahassee’s only gay bar, 926, is a place where everyone can feel welcome, no matter their sexual orientation or their gender identity. They host drag shows every Friday night, where you can watch a riveting show with the most beautiful drag queens while sipping on 926’s famous alcoholic Capri Suns. They also offer $4 singles and $6 doubles from their well, which offers anything from White Claw to Proof’s Brewing from above. They have a wide range of other beverages as well, from cocktails to craft beer, so why not stop by and enjoy one while enjoying their next Friday night show?

3. Fermentation Lounge

For a chill Thursday night when you’re just looking to grab a drink and have a long talk with your friends, stop by Fermentation Lounge. It’s tucked away in the back of All Saints, right beside Sugar Rush (which, if you haven’t tried, is a whole other conversation). Fermentation Lounge is what my friend describes as a “nighttime coffee shop.” It’s a small hideaway lounge that looks like it was plucked out of the 1950s, with the sign, couches and barstools to match. They have cards and board games available for you to play, or you can just sit back and have a long and engaging conversation with your friends. They don’t have the fancy cocktails that the other selections on this list do, but they have plenty of ciders or beers to choose from.

4. Level 8

Girls clinking wine glasses
Photo by Kelsey Chance from Unsplash
If you’re looking for something fancier, shoot over to Level 8. Sitting on the eighth floor of Hotel Duval, this rooftop bar overlooks Tallahassee from an aerial view. It’s great for nighttime dates, where you can sit down with your beau with a glass of wine or a nice fancy cocktail and look at the lights of the city below. Level 8 is pretty popular among the older population—around 30s or older. The first time that I visited on a date, there was a wedding reception happening, so the bar was popping with bachelors and bachelorettes! While this isn’t where the college crowd typically hangs out, it’s an incredibly romantic spot to grab a drink and spend some quality time with your party in the sky.

5. Bar 1903

books on bookstore shelf
Photo by Alfons Morales from Unsplash

For all of the English majors reading this, this is your jackpot. Bar 1903 used to be a library that was literally built in 1903. The old building was the very first library to open in Tallahassee, and you can still see the historic remnants intact in its architecture. When you step inside, it’s like stepping into a little bit of history. With little room to work with, the first level of the library has been converted into a lounge and bar, with the top floor being preserve and closed off, left only to be admired. An incredibly intimate space, the bar still feels almost like being in a library. Their menu, for its part, is absolutely gigantic. It’s split into time periods, ranging from modern times all the way back to pre-1880s, with a range of cocktails for each generation. They also offer beer, wine, gin and tonics and house cocktails. When you step into Bar 1903, it feels like you’re stepping out of time.

Now that you have a whole bucket list of places to try, what’s first on your list?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.