You might have missed more than you think this past week! Here are some of the biggest news stories all wrapped up:

Polling station photo
https://unsplash.com/@eagleboobs?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

Four weeks ago in Iowa, the caucus results were delayed after problems with the new system. Once all the votes were in, they showed Pete Buttigieg in the lead with 26.2% and Bernie Sanders at 26.1%. After concerns over the results, The State Central Committee conducted a partial recount, according to CNN. The results confirmed that Buttigieg held his lead over Sanders.

Late Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang has yet to back any of his former opponents. However, according to CNN, candidates have reached out to potentially have him as a running mate or another role in their campaign. Yang went on to say, “I made clear to every other candidate that I ran on a set of issues — automation of jobs, an evolving economy that we need to humanize and a dividend of $1,000 a month for every American, and I said that if a candidate were to make a significant commitment in those directions, then I’d be much more enthusiastic about considering an endorsement.” It is a very real possibility that we will not see the end of Yang in this election.

Bernie Sanders won Nevada, ending the day with 48.6% of delegates. Joe Biden followed behind at 20.2% and Pete Buttigieg at 14.3% of delegates according to CNN. This is now the second state in a row that Sanders has won.

Presidential candidate and late New York mayor Mike Bloomberg has agreed to release the names of the women accusing him of “offensive comments” according to The Washington Post. They go on to say that Bloomberg has not been accused of sexual misconduct but has actually been sued in “sexually inappropriate comments.” 

Bernie Sanders at Rally
Photo by Vidar Nordli-Mathisen on Unsplash

The Democratic presidential candidates took the stage on Feb. 26 for the 10th debate. The main focus was attacking current front runner Bernie Sanders. According to CNN, Sanders got “the front runner treatment.” Sanders wasn’t the only thing the candidates were fighting. The candidates all fought to grab votes of the African-American community. In South Carolina, African-American voters make up more than half the voters. South Carolina is a key vote for these candidates because, for the last three states to vote, the main demographic was white voters.

President Trump and VP Mike Pence in front of flag
https://unsplash.com/@historyhd?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

President Trump has announced that Vice President Mike Pence will now be taking charge of the coronavirus messaging, according to CNN. This means that the Vice President will be tasked with being the middleman between the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the public. He will be in charge of making public statements and holding press conferences about any coronavirus updates.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore at Florida State University (Go Noles!) planning to major in Psychology with a minor in Philosophy. I am so excited to spend another semester writing for Her Campus! :)
Her Campus at Florida State University.