What We’re Obsessing Over: Local Favorites

Don’t get us wrong—Jimmy John’s, Starbucks and H&M are all great places! However, if you couldn’t tell already, Tallahassee is chock-full of locally owned establishments that are great for dining, shopping and unwinding. With that being said, this week in our executive board “What We’re Obsessing Over” column, we wanted to take time and feature some of our favorite local spots. Cheers, and shop small!

TAYLOR ZOLLO: SOCIAL MEDIA DIRECTOR

Lucky Goat Coffee

Courtesy: Yelp

“It’s not really a secret place anymore but I love Lucky Goat! It’s such a nice coffee shop to go catch up with a friend or do homework. The atmosphere is very relaxed. Pro tip: try the Goat Bomb!” -Taylor

SARA GOMEZ: GRAPHIC DESIGNER

Hangin’ on Landis Green

Courtesy: WordPress

“My favorite place to hang out in Tallahassee is probably on campus. I just love it. Another thing on my bucket list is to lay in a hammock on Landis Green all day and read. For those looking to go off campus but not too far, Railroad Square Park is awesome.” -Sara

ALEX LO RE: EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Vale Food Co.

Courtesy: Spoon University

“I love, love, love Vale Food Co. in College Town. Whenever I’m feeling stressed or overwhelmed, I just pass by and grab an Acai Bowl with granola and blueberries. IT MAKES MY DAY. The vibe is just really cool in general, too.” -Alex 

SAMANTHA BUXBAUM: CO-PUBLIC RELATIONS AND EVENTS DIRECTOR

Maclay Gardens and Loli and the Bean

Courtesy: Loli and the Bean

“One of my favorite places in Tallahassee is Maclay Gardens, especially during the spring! The flowers are just absolutely gorgeous during this time of year and on a sunny day, it’s a great place to take a picnic lunch! Another local favorite of mine is a Tallahassee boutique called Loli and the Bean. They have the cutest clothes and if I’m ever looking for a cute birthday gift for someone, it’s my go-to place.” -Samantha

RACHEL DIX-KESSLER: CO-PUBLIC RELATIONS AND EVENTS DIRECTOR

Black Dog Café

Courtesy: Rachel Dix-Kessler

“Black Dog is the perfect atmosphere to study or just go and relax. You can sit inside and listen to the barista’s music pick or sit outside and enjoy the sun and flowers. From organic coffee to vegan hand pies, Black Dog strives to accommodate those with and without food allergies. If you haven’t visited this one-of-a-kind coffee shop, I highly recommend you do so soon!” -Rachel

EMMA CYPHERS: SECRETARY AND TREASURER

Sakura

Courtesy: Emma Cyphers

“My favorite restaurant ever is Sakura on Monroe. To my poor boyfriend’s dismay, I want to eat there at least once a week. Their tempura shrimp and vegetables are an addiction, and the sushi is amazing. It’s such an under-rated high quality, well-priced Japanese place.” 

FELICITY WARNER: MANAGING EDITOR

All Saints Café

Courtesy: Bloomzine

“One of my favorite places to sit down, drink some coffee and get some work done has to be All Saints Cafe. The eclectic atmosphere is nothing like a typical coffee shop, which is what makes it so special. The cafe exudes a creative vibe that helps me get in the zone and actually finish the work I need to do. From their vegan mac and cheese, to their smooth iced lattes, All Saints can’t be beat as a coffee shop staple.” 

Samantha is an Editing, Writing and Media major. She loves a good cup of coffee, a ruby red lip, roadtripping, and being a downright goof. She dreams to travel the world someday and write about all her adventures. But for now, she just really hopes she can just keep balancing everything at once.
Her Campus at Florida State University.