It is hot. Like extremely hot. Before I even make it to class my recently applied makeup is dripping down my face, pit sweat is a huge problem, and chafing becomes a reality. Tackling the hill by Strozier that once was a challenge now becomes a death wish. This summer heat has its way of making you its bitch. Luckily there are ways to alleviate these problems and make your trek to class slightly more bearable.

Shoes

While combat boots add attitude to an outfit, they’re not ideal for hot summer days. The lace up leather material allows no room for breathing and the boots leave your feet hot and steamy. Do yourself a favor and stick to the strappy sandals that add a fun, flirty highlight to your outfit while still keeping you cool.

Bottoms

You know how that song goes, “It’s gettin’ hot in here, so take off all your clothes”…well I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to resort to those teeny tiny shorts leaving little to the imagination. The tighter it is, the hotter you get. A-line skirts are a good option to keep it cool and casual and come in many lengths depending on how much skin you’re willing to reveal.  Not into skirts, but want to stay away from the infamous “norts?” Try flowy shorts, which allow for a nice breeze and keep from showing those embarrassing sweat stains while still keeping it classy. Lastly, if you learn anything from this article, let it be this: AVOID DENIM!!!!

Shirts

Crop tops are a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, they keep you cool on those days that feel like hellfire, but on the other, they can sometimes be a wee bit revealing and leave those around you feeling uncomfortable. When purchasing crop tops, try to avoid the tight-fitting style. Instead go for the t-shirt style which allows for a breeze. Trust me, one simple breeze can make a thirty-minute walk across campus “a breeze.” With graphic tees in-style, you can find a wide variety of cute crop top graphic tees in stores for cheap prices.

Hair

Humidity is a girl’s worst nightmare. A good hair day can make a world of a difference. You could be rocking those norts and big t-shirt, but as long as you have your hair in check, the outfit can look as if you didn’t just wake up and throw on whatever was in your hamper 5 minutes before class starts. One very important tip is in the late afternoon, avoid letting your hair on your neck. That is, unless you enjoy having the back of your neck glinting with sweat. If it’s a lost cause and your hair has already turned into a big poof ball straight out of the 70’s, the messy bun is a quick and easy style for go-to glam. It can tame those annoying fly-aways and is a cute addition to any outfit. The sock bun is a classy style for those looking to dress up their outfits. Here is a link to a great tutorial showing the different steps to create the perfect sock bun: http://youtu.be/hfMlMhSACCE 

Now that you have the tips to avoid melting like a Popsicle for the remainder of the summer, enjoy the sunshine and stay dry!  

Emily Brooks is a Junior at The Florida State University. She is an English major with a focus in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Communications. Born and raised in Pensacola, Florida, she has a deep-rooted love for slow-cooked Southern food. She has a passion for journalism and hopes to continue her career in the broadcast field as a TV reporter. Her ultimate goal is to become a part of the great team at ABC World News with Diane Sawyer. As a true 'Noles fan from the start, she bleeds garnet and gold and can be found at every sporting event. Along with writing, she also shares a passion for music. A strong love for the oldies has her convinced she was born a generation too late. In the Summer of 2014 her passion for writing continued abroad as she studied journalism in Valencia, Spain for one semester. You can find her travel blog here: http://emilybrooksfsu.blogspot.com.tr/
Her Campus at Florida State University.