What’s Happening With North Korea and Why You Should Be Concerned

This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU. 

When North Korea successfully managed to develop and mount a miniaturized nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile on Aug. 8, 2017, the threats between the U.S. and North Korea increased. While Trump’s “fire and fury” response lead to the creation of many memes on social media, they weren’t enough to calm the concerns of an upcoming war between these two nations.

Courtesy: me.me

Throughout Aug. and Sept., North Korea continued to test the waters by sending missiles towards Guam and Japan, inciting more fear not only in the citizens of these two countries but around the world as well. According to this article from The Telegraph, “Britain must prepare for ‘real possibility’ of US war with North Korea, report warns.” Such a conflict would result in “hundreds of thousands” of casualties, severely disrupt the global economy, and have profound implications for the political and diplomatic landscape of East Asia.

The relationships between the United States and North Korea has continued to worsen since President Donald Trump’s United Nations speech where he threatened to “totally destroy” the country. Since then, North Korea has reported that “nearly 5 million citizens have offered to join or re-enlist in the Korean People’s Army” according to Fox News.

China has recently ordered all North Korean businesses to close down within 120 days, which will drastically affect Pyongyang’s economy since China makes up for 20 percent of North Korea’s trade. This also means that joint businesses and stores bordering North Korea will be affected as well.

As of today, growing concerns that North Korea may attempt another nuclear test on Oct. 10 are coming from Japan and South Korea, according to this article.

Hi, I'm Samantha Gonzalez. I'm currently an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. I aspire to one day work at a publishing house and edit manuscripts.