What’s Happening in Hollywood Right Now: The Sexual Misconduct Accusations Continue

While most of us see Hollywood from champagne-pink goggles, giving us visions of beautiful celebrities, amazing events, and trendy food, the gaze has shifted to the darker side of Tinseltown. Many sexual allegations in Hollywood have popped up, only to disappear moments later, being overshadowed by other news. That isn’t going to happen this time as so many incredibly strong women have spoken up about the sexual misconduct occurring behind closed doors. Harvey Weinstein, a once-renowned film producer, has been accused by several celebrities of sexual harassment and assault. This news aired originally on October 5th in a New York Times article but since then, over forty women, such as Lupita Nyong’o, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Rose McGowan, have come forward with their stories. Although she did not comment for the original article, Rose McGowan showed her support as well shared her own story on Twitter. She tweeted the following: “This is about a power structure that needs to be brought down. I cannot thank the women who came forward & the boss writers at #NYT enough.” She also shared her own account by saying on Twitter, “@jeffbezos I told the head of your studio that HW raped me. Over & over I said it. He said it hadn’t been proven. I said I was the proof.” 

Courtesy: IMDB

As the Weinstein allegations continued, another article came forward in The Los Angeles Times that cited 38 reports of sexual harassment by another Hollywood mogul, James Toback. Toback is accused of using his position of power over aspiring actresses, singers, and more by promising them fame in exchange for sexual acts. It is reported that he masturbated in front of women, performed physical interaction without consent, asked inappropriate questions, and asked for sexual favors. One of the women, actress Adrienne LaValley, who Toback sexually harassed in a hotel room, commented the following, “The way he presented it, it was like, ‘This is how things are done. I felt like a prostitute, an utter disappointment to myself, my parents, my friends. And I deserved not to tell anyone.” Although Toback has denied all allegations, citing a heart condition and diabetes that would make it “biologically impossible” for him to perform any of the behavior that had been reported.  

Courtesy: IMDB

Recently, another allegation of sexual misconduct has been announced by the Inside Edition reporter, Lisa Guerrero, against Steven Seagal, another famous Hollywood tycoon. Lisa Guerrero has reported that Seagal had her audition at his home with another woman from her agency, answering the door in a silk robe and then calling her later that night, requesting a “private rehearsal”. When she denied it, the lead role was no longer offered to her and she was given a smaller part. A recording featuring Seagal has recently emerged in which he calls female reporters several disgusting names. While doing press for his movie, Above the Law, Seagal accused female reporters of only wanting to know “who he’s f—ked or would like to f—k or who his wife was with ten years ago”, making these reporters “a bunch of a—holes” or a “dumb c—t that is a liar and wanted to be sensational”. The recording only escalates as he calls female reporters “a bunch of f—cking dirty whores” and that he avoids interviews because “the way you combat it by let’s not ever do an interview again to show these c—tsuckers”. Seagal has not publicly commented on the recording or the sexual misconduct allegations. 

Courtesy: IMDB

Weinstein, Toback, Seagal, as well as celebrity photographer, Terry Richardson, and actor Ben Affleck, have all had allegations recently surface about their behavior. While all of the stories range, all of these men have been accused of horrible things, showing the darker side of working in Hollywood. Hopefully, this light being shed will change the narrative for survivors and empower them to share their stories as well as change the behavior that men consider appropriate for themselves.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you may seek help through the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-4673 (HOPE). For more resources, visit RAINN, End Sexual Assault, National Sexual Violence Resource Center, End Rape on Campus, and Know Your IX. For local Florida State University resources, visit the Victim Advocate Program that is open 24 hours daily; daytime phone, 850-644-7161 and the nights, weekend, and holidays phone, 850-644-1234 (ask to speak to an advocate).   

Katie is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in Marketing and minoring in Commerical Entrepreneurship. She is one of Her Campus's national collegiate Style Editors but don't worry, you can still find her writing for Style and Career. She's a South Florida girl through and through and loves all things beachy and outdoorsy. When she isn't obsessively online shopping, looking up her daily CoStar, or reading every book in the "Free" section on iTunes, she's trying to convince people that they don't need an Instagram. Feel free to add her on LinkedIn (because networking is the new adulting) and check out her website. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.