What Is Really Going on in Puerto Rico Now?

We probably have all been through a natural disaster at least once even if it was the completely devastating Hurricane Hermine last year that blew down that one tree branch on Landis. Sometimes, when we know that a storm isn’t going to be very bad, we get excited for it, throwing hurricane parties and stocking up on BOGO Pringles from Publix. But here in Tallahassee, we have no idea what the effects of a category 5 hurricane feel like, unlike other people in our world at the moment.

It is hard to fully be able to comprehend what is going on in a place when you aren’t there. The category five hurricane, Hurricane Maria, hit Puerto Rico on September 20th and the people on the island are still reaping the effects. There is no way to know what life is like in Puerto Rico right now and we may turn a blind eye to it just because it doesn’t affect our lives at this given moment.

The majority of the island is without power for what is expected to be six months, more people are dying because of the lack of clean water, given that raw sewage is leaking into the water system, and concern about a disease outbreak is increasing. Considering all of these factors, President Trump responds on twitter saying, “We cannot keep FEMA, the Military, the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!” I think that this statement is inappropriate for many reasons, one including that Puerto Rico, which is a United States territory, is legally entitled to receive the same amount and degree of aid that any state in the United States would receive. He is applauding the United States for helping but he acts like Puerto Rico is being needy and asking for too much help. This statement contradicts what he has said in the past, “We will be there all the time to help Puerto Rico recover, restore, rebuild,” which makes his message confusing. I think that he doesn’t want to keep spending money for the rebuilding of Puerto Rico when he could be spending it elsewhere.

What is also incredibly scary is the formidable looming of disease outbreak because of the water contamination; less than half of the population doesn’t have access to clean water, and no one really knows when the power will be restored. People are dying and the death toll keeps rising. All of these factors and our president wants to stop helping. This doesn’t add up.

No matter where you live, you should pay attention to Puerto Rico. There are thousands of people that are living each day and just trying to survive. Make this an incentive for you to donate. Donate money, supplies, or whatever you can. UNICEF is taking donations for relief kits that are being sent to Puerto Rico and they are only $28! These people are in a crisis right now and it isn’t getting any better, anything will help.

Courtesy: vox.com

As a rising senior at Florida State University, Jenna loves to play Ultimate Frisbee, write, run, read, edit and everything in between. She is a current Lifestyle intern at Her Campus in Boston and is currently discovering the city girl she never knew she was. She is so open to new people and experiences and is excited to see what the world has to offer. Also, dogs. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.