With Thanksgiving approaching everyone is getting excited about what comes with it…food! Now you can easily pick out your favorite dishes, you might even bring that dish for your Thanksgiving gathering. But we all know that one dish we eye down when we see someone bring it in the house. The dish you hate, the one that you put a little spoonful on your plate to make them feel good. Well here’s a list of popularly hated Thanksgiving dishes you shouldn’t bring this year. 

Cranberry Sauce 

Cranberries
Photo by Melissa Di Rocco from Unsplash

Now don’t get me wrong, a freshly made, sweet yet tart cranberry sauce is delicious. You spread it on your leftover turkey sandwich the day after Thanksgiving and it’s the perfect duo. But when I see that canned jellied cranberry “sauce” sitting on a plate just collecting its canned juices, it couldn’t make me anymore less appetized to eat. No food should have the ridges of its can imprinted on the outside. The only way you’ll see canned cranberry sauce on my table at Thanksgiving is for my Papa who requests it every year, and I love him to death, so he gets a pass.

Oyster Dressing

Stuffing
Photo by Chelsea Shapouri from Unsplash

Regular stuffing, by all means, load that on my plate. At my house, the stuffing goes the quickest. But when you mix those slimy grey oysters into the most perfect starch on the table you’ve done something wrong. There’s no need to add that odd texture to the stuffing, just stick with the classic Thanksgiving stuffing.

Date Pudding

Date Pudding
Photo by mohammed alorabi from Unsplash

Date pudding has that same stigma as fruit cake. It’s dense and filled with some fruit you don’t even know what isle of the store it’s on. Is it a side? Is it a dessert? If you don’t know, don’t bring it. I’m sure your guest would appreciate a pie or cake much more.

Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Canned Vegetables
Photo by Claudio Schwarz from Unsplash

Before I explain this one, I understand in some areas fresh fruit and vegetables aren’t always accessible. It is a privilege to have fresh and local produce at the store you shop at. Using fresh produce over canned makes your meals more nutritious and naturally flavored. You can see the process of your produce being washed and used directly in your dishes and knowing everything going into them. So, if you’re able to, use fresh produce over canned ones.

Turkey

Turkey
Photo by Claudio Schwarz from Unsplash

I saved the most controversial one for last. Yes, when you think of Thanksgiving Dinner you think turkey is the star. I’m not saying don’t have a turkey on Thanksgiving, but it is arguably not the most important dish on the table. On Thanksgiving you fill your plate with all the delicious sides and dessert but what do you get the least of…turkey. If you showed up and all the sides were missing from Thanksgiving dinner and it was only the turkey you’d be upset right? But if there were only sides and not turkey would you really even miss it? Proving my point that Turkey isn’t the most important dish at Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanksgiving is a time of family, food and being Thankful. You don’t want to be the person who brings the worst dish. Find a dish that’s popularly liked and perfect it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

FSU 23' Political Science Major Anything and Everything Cats & Coffee
Her Campus at Florida State University.