FSU Dorm
FSU Dorm
Alyce Rogers
Career

What It’s Actually Like Being Homecoming Overall Director With Tori Boudreau

Homecoming at FSU is a beloved tradition that has been around for ages. As attendees, we all see the glitz and glam of the weeklong events. But, what actually goes into these events and who are the faces behind them?

Tori Boudreau is this year’s Overall Homecoming director and is a graduating senior. She says her first interaction with Homecoming was her freshman year at the involvement fair that takes place every year in the Tully gymnasium. She approached their table and was told to apply for Spirit Force. Tori says, “Spirit Force is a small group of students who help the homecoming council plan and execute Homecoming.” She applied and was offered a position. It was from here that her love for Homecoming began.

Since her Spirit Force position, Tori has now attained the positions of Production Chair in 2018 and Operations Director in 2019. The Homecoming Council has many positions that all help contribute to the execution of actual Homecoming events. With the spark of COVID-19, the initial events that were planned had to be changed. Tori says, “COVID-19 has pushed our council to become more innovative in how we want to create our week of events. We want to continue our tradition of uniting past, present and future Seminoles and reminding our school how proud we are to go to Florida State University.” Currently, the council is planning for a spring Homecoming. The excitement still remains and we are enthused to see what the council was able to do with this turn of events.

three girls during golden hour
Photo by Simon Maage from Unsplash

Homecoming Council is always a really tight-knit group and usually have great personal connections. It has been another home at FSU for Tori and I’m sure many others. Tori says, “Homecoming and the people that I have met have become some of the most important people in my life. The council continues to push me and inspire me to be a better leader. They have become my family. I am so thankful for the people who have made me into the person I am today and the ones who motivate me to keep learning.”

As Homecoming Overall Director, an immense amount of pressure is placed onto you. It is inevitable that this position would change many aspects of a person. With Tori, she says she has not only grown as a human, but also as a friend and leader. With change comes adaptations and this year, more than ever, she has had to learn to adapt to many changes. College is a very unique experience and Tori has learned to value all of it. She says, “Homecoming has taught me to stay positive, be adaptive and take advantage of the moments. Your time at college goes by so fast but Homecoming has made it so memorable. I will move past FSU and I will remember the professionals and personal lessons this organization has taught me.”

For those of you who are interested in getting involved, Tori has some advice for you. She says, “Be passionate. This organization will challenge you but you will fall in love with it. It is okay to not receive a position the first time that you apply. We want you to grow and reapply. There are so many ways to get involved. Applying for Spirit Force is a great way to get your foot in the door. You could also become a delegate for your organization to help them fall in love with the tradition. Or, you can participate as an individual and enjoy some great food and entertainment.”

Wescott Building at Florida State University
Photo by Ernie A. Stephens from Pixabay
In whatever way you can, involve yourself in the spirit of Homecoming. It is a great tradition that fully immerses you in the feeling of being a Florida State Seminole.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Aiyanna is a current student at The Florida State University as a sophomore. She is currently studying Psychology with a minor of Communications. Her favorite food is french fries and her favorite drink is strawberry-lemonade. Her passions include working with and helping people. She hopes that this passion one day leads me to the field of public relations and media.