What I Wish To See From the ‘Wicked’ Movie Adaptation as a Musical Lover

I’ve been thinking about the Wicked trailer since it dropped during Superbowl LVIII, as I’m sure every other musical lover has been, too. My younger self is freaking out over the fact that I’ll be able to watch one of my favorite musicals as a movie! I’ve loved Wicked since eighth grade when I was first introduced to the musical for my chorus class. Here’s everything I’m excited about and hope to see in the upcoming movies. 

First and foremost, the cast!  

With how popular the musical is, it’s no wonder celebrities like Cynthia Erivo (playing Elphaba) and Ariana Grande (playing Glinda) are the leads in the film. There is also the charming Jonathan Bailey, who will play Fiyero, and the incredible Jeff Goldblum, who will play the Wizard. Having a cast full of powerhouses, like the few mentioned, will attract many viewers — myself included.  

THE SONGS!  

The director, Jon M. Chu, split the movie into two parts to ensure that nothing from the original musical was left out. I want to hear all the iconic songs, including “Defying Gravity,” “The Wizard and I,” “Popular,” and “For Good.” There are even mentions that new songs will be added to the movie as well. I can’t wait to hear everyone singing their favorite songs in the movie theater when the films come out.  

Costumes and Makeup

In the trailer, we got a sneak peek of the costumes, and I was not disappointed. Grande’s costumes were flowy, light, and colorful, much like Glinda’s easygoing personality. Meanwhile, Erivo’s costumes were stiff, structured, and muted, much like Elphaba’s “all work and no play” personality.

Also, notable mention: the green body paint. Not many people can pull off Elphaba’s role, much less green body paint, but Erivo pulls off both easily. 

Computer Generated Imagery (CGI) 

I’m a bit nervous about the CGI used in the film. The trailer actually looked good with all the effects used to bring Wicked to life. However, I’m nervous about a few things, such as Elphaba’s flying and the monkeys. If what I see looks fake, I can’t focus on the movie. I’m sure the CGI will look great based on the trailer, but many movies try too hard with CGI and ruin the movie for its viewers. I’m hoping they find a happy medium where it looks realistic on screen.  

promotion of the Movie

I need the Wicked cast to channel the Barbie cast when promoting their movie. I need Ariana Grande to arrive on the red carpet in a bubble. I need Cynthia Erivo to be like Margot Robbie and find different ways to honor Elphaba with stunning outfits, since Elphaba’s outfits are mainly plain in the musical. As we saw during the Superbowl LVIII, Erivo and Grande wore matching jersey dresses that were pink and green to represent their characters. I believe this is just the beginning of promotion from the cast, and I’m here for it! 

This iconic musical has been in production on Broadway for over 20 years, so it deserves to have an incredible film adaptation. There’s so much that I can’t wait to see in the film, from the love between Fiyero and Elphaba to how they depict the Wizard as a character and, most importantly, the sisterhood between Elphaba and Glinda. I’ve been waiting for this movie since the adaptation was first announced in 2016, so I can’t wait to see the film finally come out! 

At the end of the day, I know that the cast and crew have put so much effort into creating this beautiful world for musical lovers. That effort was proven in the remarkable trailer they put out. No matter what anyone says about the upcoming movie, I will be there on opening night singing my heart out to “Defying Gravity” and reminiscing about my time in chorus.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Miranda Daubar is a Creative Writing major minoring in history at Florida State University. She is hoping to become an author one day. Currently she is a staff writer for Her Campus.