What Happens Now: President Barron Departure and The Top 25 Initiative

The news of President Barron’s departure from his alma mater feels bittersweet amongst those who have worked with him closely and the students of the university. On February 18, it was announced that President Barron will become the new president of Penn State University. As predicted, with unexpected information like this, the news of his resignation was met with opposition. Accusations of him selling out for a higher paying occupation to work at a nationally ranked No. 8 university were lobbed his way. Among these accusations lay the question of what will happen next with his initiative to move Florida State into a Top 25 university?

Last year, President Barron sent out a survey to Alumni to figure out what they wanted to see improved within the university. He was hit with the overwhelming knowledge that they wanted the focus to be on portraying the academic excellence of the university. With the help of the 300,000 members of the Alumni Association, President Barron put forth his initiative to increase the ranking of Florida State University into one among the top 25 public institutions. A higher ranking not only looks great on paper, but it offers alumni benefits such as an increase in their academic degree. In addition, it offers current students a greater level of academic quality within their respective colleges. This initiative is also working on increasing student career readiness and job placement. With great centers available on campus, such as the Career Center that is open for use by current students and alumni, the initiative is working on raising the bar in gaining economic opportunities for students and alumni to participate in.

With this initiative in place, the university has moved two places from its No.42 ranking into No.40 among all public universities and from No.97 to No.91 among all universities. Without the presence of its leader, President Barron, will this initiative still hold with a new president? In his four years, Barron has accomplished much. For the past two years, U.S. News has named FSU the most efficient university in the nation. The university was also honored with pre-eminence status. This is awarded to any university that meets 11 of the 12 requirements set by the Legislature such as freshman GPA scores of 4.0 or better and SAT scores of 1800 or better.

It’s hard to believe that FSU will lose such a great leader. The university is already on a quest to find another qualified president. Our only hope is that it be a president who holds the same respect for education as its previous president did. The benefits the Top 25 initiative brings are things soon-to-be alumni are in need of. When looking for employment, it feels great to have a facility on campus that not only helps current students, but alumni search for employment. In addition, having a degree that allows a leg-up above your competition is a great asset as well. Choose well FSU, the legacy started by Barron is something we’d like to continue. 

I'm a senior at Florida State University who loves her Seminoles (GO NOLES!), reading, and ,of course, writing while drinking a hot cup of Twining's Spiced Apple Chai and listening to classical music.
Her Campus at Florida State University.