Culture > News

What Happened When YouTubers Myka and James Stauffer Rehomed Their Adopted Child

Their channel resembled the themes of many others. The Stauffers were a wholesome family of five that documented their life on YouTube for over 300,000 subscribers to see. Their family-friendly world came crashing down when a video called “An Update on Our Family” was uploaded after a period of silence from the family. The family had not been broadcasting one of their children for a long time. Subscribers were concerned and wanted answers. The truth was finally revealed that the couple had rehomed their five-year-old adopted son, Huxley.

The Stauffers began documenting their international adoption experience in 2016 when they only had three kids at the time. In 2017, their son was adopted from China when he was two years old. They were notified that he may have had a “brain tumor” before adopting but based on the Stauffers’ recount, the adoption agency did not disclose his full medical history. It was found that he had severe autism and likely would need care for the rest of his life. Before adopting their son, the couple had set preferences on wanting a child with mild disabilities. When the couple found out the severity of their son’s disabilities, they were unphased. According to The Cut, Myka Stauffer said, “Without a doubt in our minds, we knew, no matter what state he came to us, that we would love him. If anything, my child is not returnable.”

After this statement, it came as a shock to hear that the couple’s reasoning for rehoming their child was because his diagnosis was much more severe than the adoption agency had made it seem. They also detailed that there were incidents in the home that happened with their biological children that drove them to rehoming. They shopped their child around to different adoption agencies with the help of medical professionals. During his first months with them, their child had severe attachment issues and clung heavily to James Stauffer. He had made an immense amount of progress before he was rehomed at five years old.

A torn pink paper heart strung on white string with a black background.
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash

Since this, their YouTube channel has been removed. According to Insider, “Lawyers for the couple released a statement to People Magazine saying that the family’s decision was a reflection of their devotion to their children and made in response to medical advice.” The family has since lost many brand partnerships with brands such as Fabletics, Danimals and Playtex Baby. In June 2020, a police investigation was opened up against the family because the child was unable to be located after being rehomed. After he was found, a welfare investigation was opened up but was recently closed. The police found that the child was safe in his new home and the Stauffer family faced no repercussions.

Myka and James Stauffer have been silent for months now. The negativity that they are receiving online is still growing and has caused the family to separate themselves from social media. Watch a video from Access for more details and photos of the family here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!​

Aiyanna is a current student at The Florida State University as a sophomore. She is currently studying Psychology with a minor of Communications. Her favorite food is french fries and her favorite drink is strawberry-lemonade. Her passions include working with and helping people. She hopes that this passion one day leads me to the field of public relations and media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.