Life > Experiences

What FSU’s Dance Marathon Is All About: Interview With Event Coordinator Ella Fiore

Dance Marathon (DM) is a philanthropy organization that donates money to Florida State University’s College of Medicine’s Pediatric Outreach Program and the University of Florida’s Shands Children’s Hospital. Her Campus interviewed Ella Fiore, one of the fundraising development coordinators for FSU’s event, to get an overview of the event and its impact.

Her Campus (HC): How would you describe DM to someone who has never heard about it? 

Ella Fiore (EF): It is the largest student-run organization at Florida State University. It’s a lot of students just coming together for a good cause. We raise money for children who need pediatric medical care that they can’t get locally.

HC: Why did you join DM and how long have you been a part of it?

EF: This is my second year! I joined because my friend at the University of Florida was a part of it, and I was intrigued. I really wanted to know more about the organization.

HC: What does your schedule look like the week of the event as a coordinator?

EF: On Wednesday and Thursday, we set up all day in the Civic center starting at 9 a.m. The first shift of the marathon, or the Garnett shift, begins on Friday at 11 a.m. and ends at 9 p.m. On Saturday, I come back for the Gold shift, which starts at 4 p.m. and lasts until 1 p.m. the next day.

HC: What do you do throughout the event?

EF: For about the first two hours, dancers will learn the line dance choreography that they will do every hour of the marathon throughout their shift. Every hour we get to hear a different Miracle Kid’s story about how DM has helped them. It is really inspiring to hear how grateful they are because, without the funds we raise, they wouldn’t be able to get the treatment they need for their condition.

HC: Do you really stand the whole time?

EF: Yes, the dancers are standing for those who can’t. There are games and performances throughout the event to keep the dancer’s energy up. We kneel when we listen to the Miracle Kids’ stories.

HC: What is the Hit That Gong tradition for?

EF: Whenever someone gets a donation, they get to hit the gong. It started with Marshal Fisher, one of the Miracle Kids. The gong is like the heartbeat of the marathon, so whenever we hear the gong sound, everyone cheers and goes crazy. 

HC: How would you describe the Dance Marathon community?

EF: It’s like a family. Everyone is really close, and I’ve met a lot of great people. On top of it being a lot of fun, it’s a great organization that’s making a difference by raising money for kids who are in unfortunate situations. We’re doing our best to help.

HC: How does the event end?

EF: The Saturday Gold shift ends with the big reveal, where the dancers get to see how much money was raised. It’s one of those moments where you get goosebumps, because, oh my gosh, we did that.

HC: How can people support or join DM? 

EF: Right now, you can support by donating, and if you want to be a part of next year’s marathon, you can sign up when applications open next fall. You can learn more about it on the website.

You can visit Ella’s donor page here. Follow @dmfsu on Instagram to see updates on more events and how to register for next year’s marathon!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I’m a communications major at Florida State. Class of 2026!