When I was younger, I had little confidence and I was let down a lot by my biological father. This let down caused by him not showing up to pick me up or not returning my calls, resulted in me developing a fear of getting hurt. I was always very shy when it came to making friends. I would put up a barrier to anyone who tried to talk to me or got close to my heart.

During this time, I was raised with a lot of Disney related traditions in my home. My mother would take me to Disney World almost twice a year, every year. Disney became my happiness and my escape when life got too rough. I adored going to the parks and especially watching the movies.

I watched Disney movies over, and over, and over again. The rewind button on my VCR was on the verge of giving up, but I didn’t care because I found love in Disney movies. I would watch Belle fall in love with a beast, Lady fall in love with the tramp, and a mermaid fall in love with a prince.

Disney movies aren’t just about romantic love; these movies go much further than that. Disney teaches us the importance of a love that a daughter can have for her father. The movie Mulan shows us a love so strong, that she takes his place in the military that was fighting a war. Lilo and Stich teaches us the importance of Ohana: the love of family.  The movie Finding Nemo showcases the love of a father who looks for his son along with the friendships he builds along the way.  These movies go beyond finding your true love and lifelong partner. These movies show people that love in many forms is possible for anyone from anywhere and can be experienced at any time. Frozen proves to young kids that siblings have strong bonds no matter what. Toy Story exemplifies the love a child can share with his toys.  Aladdin teaches us that two people, from two different social classes, can fall in love despite the titles they hold.

Every Disney movie ever made has love at its core. Disney, the dream factory, portrays different people, from different cultures falling in love. It depicts different species of animals coming together and finding something they all have in common. Disney even shows inanimate objects come to life to illustrate love. Disney movies gives us examples of love doesn’t have an age, boundaries, or restrictions. Just think about Monsters Inc. and the defying love Boo shares with Sulley and Mike.

Maybe some Disney movies are unrealistic, but the life lessons they teach are very real. The lesson that love is all around us and happens all the time has always had a special place in my heart. It has taught me to not be afraid of life and relationships. You don’t need a boyfriend/girlfriend to feel love. You can feel love going home for vacation, or you can feel love when your friend is that shoulder you cry on when you need it.

I may not have had the best childhood, but I had love all around me the entire time. Disney movies helped me realize that. They taught me to let go of my fear of getting hurt because there is love in every human, animal, and aspect of life. Life is made possible because of love.

It doesn’t matter how alone we feel, we all have multiple ways to love and be loved. This should give us hope that life can be a little less hard and a little less stressful. So go find your happy ending!

Amanda loves to write creatively on her spare time. When she isn't studying for her double major in both Psychology and Editing, Writing, and Media, Amanda is in the kitchen cooking up some dinner or baking sweet treats. She is a kid at heart and will never be too old for anything Disney. Amanda aspires to become a producer and writer for future video games.
Her Campus at Florida State University.