Culture > News

The Wedding Theme of 2019 Is Here: One Couple Used Their Wedding to Raise Awareness of Wildfires

Couples are warned to be prepared for anything that might happen on their wedding day, but this really takes the (wedding) cake. 

Curtis and Katie Ferland from the Windy City of Chicago flew to their dream destination in California’s wine country, Sonoma County, just in time for the Kincade Fire. When their plane landed, they were greeted by the raging flames ravaging the north end of the county. 

Not wanting to let this little mishap ruin their perfect day, the couple continued as planned, setting up their ceremony in the Chateau St. Jean Winery in Kenwood, about 30 miles from where the fire first started. 

However, before their reception, Curtis and Katie posed for one last photo. 

Courtesy: KMR Photography

The striking image, taken by Bay Area wedding photographer, Karna Roa, has since gone viral. 

Roa gave the couple protective masks to wear over their faces before snapping the shot. In the photograph, Katie and Curtis stair straight into the camera, the masks covering most of their faces. Their bodies are stiff, their hands clasped together as they stand in the middle of the Chateau St. Jean Winery. The sun glares behind them in a sky painted red, orange and black. 

“The sky was full of smoke and the sun was red and the moment they put their masks on, I instantly thought of ‘American Gothic,'” Roa said. “… This is the third year running that I’ve had weddings drastically affected by the fires. So, when I looked at them and the red sky I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, is this the new normal for wine country in October?”

Sara Sugrue, the couple’s wedding planner, had to redesign the entire event the night before vows were exchanged to accommodate the turn of events. While the event was still held outdoors, it only lasted for 20 minutes, with plans to move the entire reception indoors – complete with backup generators and an air filtration system. 

Courtesy: KMR Photography

It was actually Sugrue who suggested the viral photo in the first place. 

“Because of all of the changes in the plans and all of the stress leading up to the wedding, [Sugrue] suggested that they do at least one image with the masks on,” Roa said. According to her, the masks were available to everyone who attended the wedding, but the guests were only outside for 20 minutes because of the smoke. 

When asked, Roa stated that she believed the image went viral because of its “combination of joy and sorrow.” 

On Sunday, Oct.27, the morning after their reception, the newlyweds and all of their guests were forced to evacuate.

The Kincade Fire, which is 30% contained, has scorched over 76,000 acres of land. At least 206 structures and 94 homes have been destroyed. There are currently no reported deaths or missing persons, and two firefighters have been injured. Over 90,000 structures still remain threatened. Over 200,000 people have been forced to leave their homes. 

Roa hopes that the image of Curtis and Katie will raise awareness for the devastation of the California wildfires, and how much global work needs to be done.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.