Watch the Film that Swept the Oscars and Made History at the ASLC

You may have heard the public raving about the Korean film Parasite. It’s a dark comedy that was released in Oct. 2019. The film tackles the issues of class in society and capitalism while keeping its audience on its toes. The film won four Oscars including best picture. This shocked and, in many cases, pleased the world. It made history as the first non-English best picture winner at the Oscars. The four nominations it received were also the first four nominations South Korea had ever received at the Oscars. The historic win came after Bong Joon Ho, the film’s director, made a comment while receiving the Golden Globes foreign film award. He stated, “Once you overcome the 1-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films.” This statement has sprouted lots of conversations about The Academy’s questionable history with recognizing foreign films and actors. One of these conversations will be held right here at FSU.

The Askew Student Life Center has partnered with the FSU Center for Global Engagement to bring Parasite to FSU for viewing and a discussion. The screening will be on March 10 from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. Therefore, you should arrive early because many people are attempting to see the film that made history. 1000 people have marked that they are interested in going to the Facebook event that you can find here! There will also be refreshments beforehand.

discussion
Photo by Antenna on Unsplash

Although the ASLC constantly brings us films to watch, this film is a part of a series being hosted by the FSU Center for Global Engagement. It is called Engage Your World. This series is an effort to bring diverse individuals to come together and engage in a conversation about the global challenges we face today. Every year the series has a different theme. This year the theme is immigration and human rights. The Global Center for Engagement usually plans about three events in the fall and three to four events in the spring that educate and allow for discussion on the theme of the year. The screening of Parasite will be the final event for the spring. Some examples of other events the Center for Global Engagement have hosted include talking about land conflicts and fires in Amazonia and having a keynote speaker discuss South Asian workers in journalism. As described on their website, one of their main goals is to encourage intercultural dialogue. According to their website, this dialogue “is essential to build an open-minded community that understands social, cultural, religious and political complexities of our world today.” Don’t miss out on your opportunity to engage in this intercultural discussion at the Parasite screening! You can keep up to date with the events held by the FSU Center for Global Engagement and read more about their mission here.

flags
Photo by Jason Leung on Unsplash

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Graciela is a senior at FSU currently majoring in behavioral neuroscience. She is striving to become a forensic pathologist after completing medical school in the future. She loves to read and watch movies in her free time!
Her Campus at Florida State University.