photo i took of a clothing rack in my bedroom with my clothes on it
maggie kerrins
Style > Fashion

Wardrobe Pieces for the Soft Launch Into Spring

Punxsutawney Phil may have predicted six more weeks of winter, but mentally I am already on spring break. The Tallahassee weather is starting to break out of the 50s’ and 60s’ and beginning to transition into the 70s’ and 80s’, which means spring is almost here. For the sunny days and chilly nights, we need transitional pieces to warm us up for the soft launch into spring. Here are some staple wardrobe pieces to add to your collection that can be for both winter and spring, and the weird in-between.

Knit tanks

Whether they are neutral, pastel or vibrant, knit tanks are the optimal transition piece from winter to spring due to their warm material, but breathable design. This knit sweater vest from H&M remains neutral, so it can be easily styled, but it also has a pattern that fits the vibe of spring. The curved lines and unique print get me excited for the sunny days out on the town during spring break. If it’s still chilly out where you live, layer it over a mock neck long sleeve or with an oversized jacket. For a pop of color, grab this Urban Outfitters sweater tank top that is the perfect red to capture the happiness of almost spring. Pair it with jeans, wide-leg pants, shorts or even under a jacket. Lastly, this mock neck sweater tank from Pacsun captures everything that spring is. Also, Emma Chamberlain is wearing it, so anything she wears I must buy.

Cotton button-ups

Button-ups are a staple everyone should have in their closet. They are easy, versatile and chic. When it comes to being a transitional piece, button-ups can be used as jackets or on the other end of the spectrum—swimsuit coverups. This adorable pink oversized cotton shirt from H&M is the perfect piece to style with a white tank or white mock neck, and some light wash jeans. This off-white button-down top from Billabong is everything and more when it comes to a staple piece for any occasion. Neutral button-downs are a basic that can go with any outfit whether you’re styling it for work, school, the beach or lounging around the house.

Colorful sweaters

I am a sucker for an oversized sweater, especially in the wintertime. Now that spring is almost here, we are upping our sweater game with colorful and floral sweaters. This pastel orange ribbed sweater from H&M reminds me of an orange creamsicle, and I’m obsessed! This graphic green long sleeve cardigan from Pacsun is the epitome of spring. By being a cardigan, it creates a transitional piece for both winter and spring that can be layered or stand on its own. Sweaters are a great way to prepare for spring without ditching all of your pieces from winter.

Knit midi skirts

@nataliezacek

Srry it’s been a minute

♬ beautiful boy – ٴۢ

Skirts can be tricky, especially when it’s the transitional period between winter and spring. However, midi skirts got your back. Knit midi skirts add dimension to an outfit while also being versatile. The length isn’t too short for winter, but also isn’t too long for spring. The knit material is breathable and comfortable. This stunning blue midi skirt from Free People is on my wish list, but this dupe from Princess Polly is just as beautiful. Both are vibrant colors that can be paired with neutral tops for any season. For winter, pair a platform boot. For spring, add sneakers or a dainty heel.

Matching knit sets

Are you sensing a theme? Yes, knitted pieces are truly the one piece that acts as the perfect transition from winter to spring. Knit matching sets are both adorable and efficient. When you’re in a hurry or have no idea what to wear, you can grab a matching set that makes you look put together even with minimal effort. This lavender knit lounge set from NastyGal is the perfect outfit for those rainy spring days. Also from NastyGal, is this neutral, minimalist knitted loungewear set that is both comfortable and cute.

The transition from winter to spring is a time full of sunny days and chilly nights but having these pieces in your closets will make choosing your outfit so much easier. From pastels to neutral, patterns to solids, the soft launch for spring is a fun time to play around with your outfits and curate a wardrobe that is exciting, functional and versatile.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hannah Tolley is a contributing writer under the Entertainment and Culture vertical. She covers entertainment releases, fan theories, pop culture news, and more. Aside from Her Campus, Hannah was also a member of the Florida State University (FSU) Her Campus team. During her time with the chapter, she served as a staff writer for three semesters, where she wrote biweekly pieces across campus, culture, and personal verticals. She also was a content editor for two semesters, where she led a team of 6+ writers and oversaw and edited their articles. Hannah was also an editorial intern for Her Campus during her spring and summer term of her second year in college. As an intern, she worked alongside the full-time edit team to curate timely and evergreen pieces across life, culture, career, and style verticals. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from FSU in May 2023, with a Bachelor of Science in Media/Communication Studies with a minor in English. When she's not dissecting the latest pop culture events, you can find her reading a cheesy romance novel or establishing parasocial relationships with fictional TV characters. She loves to rewatch her favorite shows (Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and Friends) or spend the day going down a rabbit hole of reality dating shows.