Career

Want To Know More About FSU Homecoming or Orientation? Meet Makenna Campbell-Hutts!

Ever wonder what it’s like to be really involved at Florida State University (FSU)? What it’s like to be a part of organizations that have a big impact on our campus? I know I have, especially my first semester, but being the new kid at a really big school can be a bit intimidating and I know I’m not the only one who has felt that way. After many trials and errors, I slowly started finding my place and people on campus. One of those being Makenna. She is one of the most thoughtful and encouraging individuals I have ever met. I hope she encourages you to step out of your comfort zone and find your place and people on campus, too.

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about yourself.

Makenna Campbell-Hutts (MC): My name is Makenna Campbell-Hutts. I am a senior studying political science and I’m about to graduate. I from Jupiter, Florida, and I have been involved in Orientation and FSU Homecoming most of my college career.

HC: What positions have you held in those organizations?

MC: I started Homecoming my freshman year and I started on Spirit Force in 2017, I was on Homecoming Council in 2018 as the Service Chair, I was on Council in 2019 as the Programming Director and I’m on Council in 2020 as the Homecoming Live Director. And for Orientation, I started Orientation in 2019 as an Orientation Leader, 2020 as an Orientation Team Leader and 2021 as the Orientation Team Captain.

HC: With Homecoming usually taking place in October but now happening in April, how has COVID-19 affected the organization or your position?

MC: We’ve really had to be intentional. I have been in my leadership position for over a year now, which is weird, but we did a lot of trial and error. We attended Club Downunder events and seeing how successful they were or attending other department events and building off what worked for them. Also, partnering with campus partners and the Tallahassee community to figure out where we can engage different populations so that everyone feels involved and excited to be here. My hope, especially with my event which is April 9, is that we will be appropriately socially distanced, wearing masks, but also a big pep rally to celebrate everything that we’ve gone through and accomplished in the last year.

girl standing in football stadium
Photo by Makenna Campbell-Hutts

HC: What are your most frequently asked questions as an Orientation Leader?

MC: I would say, “How do I get involved?” is really a big one. I am always explaining the process, how to go through NoleCentral or about joining any clubs or organizations that speak to you. “Who are the best professors?” You always get asked that too. Honestly, that’s a tough question because people have not experienced every professor on campus. I would say, [I get] lots of questions about finding their place on campus, and I think the best thing you can do is just start from what you know. You can foster relationships easily because everyone wants to make friends just as bad as you do. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

HC: What advice would you give incoming and first-year students on getting involved?

MC: Try anything and everything. Don’t do too much to the point where you’re not getting your academics done, but I have been in more organizations than just Homecoming and Orientation. I used my first two years as a time to experiment and explore what I wanted to do and where I wanted to spend my time. I’ve been a part of the Conduct Board, Dance Marathon, a service sorority, random little clubs and that helped me shape what my interests were. I think that there’s no limit on what we can do and if we pursue anything that we’re interested in, it only opens up more career possibilities. 

HC: What have been the biggest takeaways from your involvement?

MC: I think the biggest thing I’ve learned about myself is… my confidence has definitely increased. Before I was pretty shy, I mean, shy because I was still trying to find my place, involvement-wise at FSU. It was hard at first. When I really got involved in Orientation and Homecoming, I kinda just found my people and my specific interests which are turning out to be something I’m going to persue as a career.

Group of students
FSU Homecoming

HC: What is your WHY?

MC: It’s not particularly a word but more of the experience that I had. I had a single dorm my first year, I was alone, I lived seven hours away even though I was still in the state of Florida. I just felt really alone, and I struggled significantly with my mental health. In my journey of meeting other people through involvement, the people I met gave me resources and hope that I wouldn’t have had if I had not gotten involved. So really, my why for being a part of these organizations is truly because I want to give back to the people who have given me so much and essentially do that for somebody else. I want to provide them with the resources, the help and care so that that they know that they’re in college for a reason.

HC: What is something that you’re proud of that you never get a chance to talk about?

MC: I guess I don’t talk about it a lot, but I am proud of my personal progression throughout college. It’s funny how one decision can truly change your life and I’m proud of the fact that I had the guts to do things that my anxiety otherwise wouldn’t let me do. Getting involved is the scariest thing in the world because we all fear rejection, and when you have anxiety it’s like you’re telling yourself 10 times how awful it will be. I was just like, you know what, screw it, I’m gonna go for it no matter what. Who I became in college is something I’m really proud of and the people I’ve grown up in college with. I’m thinking about my 2019 Orientation Leader friends who are now my best friends or seeing staff members, graduate assistants, the people I’ve looked up to go and get their dream jobs. I will be going to FSU for graduate school for Higher Education in a few months and I’m so excited to continue to give back to the school that’s given me so much. 

It was so nice to sit with Makenna and learn more about her. Homecoming is taking place April 5 to 10, but make sure to attend Homecoming Live on April 9! Follow FSU Homecoming and Orientation on Instagram to see how you can get involved.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Yes, I will play your favorite song. Currently a senior studying media communication studies & political science at Florida State University. Things I love: puppies (all dogs are puppies forever), '70s music and reading a really a good book on my hammock.