jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Want to Feel Happier Right Now? Here’s What To Do!

It’s officially midterm season which we all know means morale is at an all time low. Between the grueling exams and the rainy weather, it can be hard to even want to smile at your accounting professor’s lame joke. If you are starting to feel that semester struggle, here are a few things that will make you feel happier right now.

1. DOGS. DOGS. DOGS

Honestly, nothing is better than a golden retriever puppy running around and being cute. You have to be happy when you see that wagging tail.

2. Sing in the car

Blast Spotify and sing like all the other cars can’t hear you. I highly recommend the All Out 00’s playlist if you’re having a day.

3. Binge watch all the Facebook videos

From adorable animal friendships to beautifully designed cakes, Facebook is a home to every video you could ever need to crack a smile.

4. Buzzfeed quizzes

Do you know who your soulmate is? No, probably not, but Buzzfeed does and they can tell you who it is based on how you shop at Forever 21 so do a couple quizzes or a couple hundred. You are bound to say “wow that’s so true”.

5. Light some candles

Sandalwood. Vanilla. Pumpkin Pie. What scent makes you feel calm? What scent makes you feel like you’re in your childhood home? Think about it, buy it in a candle, and light it every time you need a little grounding.  

6. Eat chocolate. A lot of chocolate.

If you have an Aldi’s, get there ASAP. They have the best, cheapest chocolate. If not, run to your nearest CVS, Target, Publix, whatever and pick up the weirdest sounding chocolate flavor. Trust me, it’s still going to be good. How do you mess up chocolate?  

7. Buy stuff

Sometimes you just need to buy something. Especially if you’ve had your eye on it for a while. Online shopping is also known as retail therapy and is bound to make you smile.

8. Get your beauty guru on

“Hi, welcome to my channel!” Talk yourself through your favorite YouTube tutorial the same way you would when you put on your favorite red lipstick. You will at least laugh at yourself as you go through your routine.  

9. Go outside

Sometimes you just need some fresh air and vitamin D. Go to Landis Green, hang up a hammock, and rock your problems away.

10. Read a good book

Don’t underestimate the power of a good book. If I’m ever in a mood, I like to re-read old books that I know have good endings but feel free to be more spontaneous.

11. Motivational quotes

Read pages and pages of motivational quotes on Pinterest. By the end, you will be thinking of the next brilliant idea to go on Shark Tank.

12. Paint your nails

It’s the little things in life that make all the difference. Taking time for yourself and painting your nails a fun color can completely change a negative attitude.

13. Romantic comedies

Rom-Coms aren’t sad so they’ll make you happier right? How can you not feel good watching To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before? You can’t.

14. Watch Carpool Karaoke

James Corden is a gem. He can make you laugh no matter what.

15. Make up a dance

This is my roommate’s go-to when she’s upset. She has complete dances to almost every Pussycat Dolls song. It’s just a good way to get out of your head and literally shake off the tension.

16. Do a nice thing

Helping other people is a great way to boost your morale. Everyone feels happy knowing they did something to make someone else happy. So buy the guy behind you a coffee or write a nice note to a friend. You can make their day as well as your own.

17. Meditate

When everything is getting to be too much, just stop thinking. Obviously, this is harder than it sounds but meditation is a great way to explore the art of not thinking. Even thinking about meditating makes me feel relaxed,  

18. Watch old reality shows

It’s physically impossible to resist laughing at the first season of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. If you need more than that, watch some Laguna Beach. Kristin saying “Stepheeeen” will be enough to change your entire outlook.

19. Have some gratitude

Reflecting on everything that’s right in your life will easily put into perspective what’s important.

20. Sleep

If all else fails, take a nap. Sometimes we all just need a little nap.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy

Katie is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in Marketing and minoring in Commerical Entrepreneurship. She is one of Her Campus's national collegiate Style Editors but don't worry, you can still find her writing for Style and Career. She's a South Florida girl through and through and loves all things beachy and outdoorsy. When she isn't obsessively online shopping, looking up her daily CoStar, or reading every book in the "Free" section on iTunes, she's trying to convince people that they don't need an Instagram. Feel free to add her on LinkedIn (because networking is the new adulting) and check out her website. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.