“A Walk to Remember” Turned 16 This Year and I’m Still Sobbing

The heart-shattering tearjerker that is A Walk to Remember, turned 10 years old last week! When it was still on Netflix, I watched A Walk to Remember 100 times and ugly cried some big, fat tears. The film will always have a piece of my heart, but if you’ve never seen it yourself and wanna save yourself the time, I’ll give you the run down!

The rebellious bad-boy Landon Carter, played by Shane West, and a group of his friends get away with hazing a kid who was trying to get into their group, leaving him badly injured. Shortly after, his principal finds beer bottles on the property, and to pay for his actions, he participates in a tutoring program and must be in the school’s play. This is where he first talks to bible-hugging Jamie Sullivan, played by Mandy Moore, and asks for her help running lines. She agrees to help if he promises not to fall in love with her (he obviously fails because it’s Mandy Moore, duh), but initially he complies. However, he then randomly finds her roaming around in a cemetery, watching the stars through her home-made telescope, and this peaks his interest in her.

Courtesy: In Touch Weekly

That being said, he doesn’t lose his blockhead personality when he’s at school with his friends, causing her to push him away. After watching Jaimie perform in their school play, he falls for her and puts his effort towards trying to win back her trust. He takes her out on her first date (after getting approval from her father), and helps her achieve a list of goals; such as getting a tattoo (a temporary one), and being two places at once (straddling state lines).

Courtesy: MTV

Things get serious. He tells her he loves her, and she has to tell him that there was a reason he wasn’t supposed to fall in love with her in the first place. She admits that she’s ill and that her cancer has progressively gotten worse. He’s shocked for a while, but then he uses the rest of the time they have together to help her finish her list. Landon helps her accomplish her #1 goal of getting married in the church her parents got married.

Courtesy: hdwallpaper20

Ultimately, Jaimie passes away from Leukemia, but Landon says that her love is like the wind. He can’t see it, but he can feel it. Cue the moment we all sob our eyes out and our hearts are ripped out of our chests.

Courtesy: YouTube

The love story between Jaimie and Landon still lives on in our hearts, and in the actors’ hearts as well! In celebration of their 10th anniversary, both Mandy Moore and Shane West shared photos from the film on their social media platforms!

Courtesy: Instagram

Courtesy: Instagram

If you could use a good cry and feel like watching it for yourself, you can find it on Freeform’s site for free! Heat up some popcorn and grab some tissues and get ready to get deep in your feels! (Not so) happy watching!

Nicole Knight is a Junior at Florida State University. She's majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communications. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.