Walk A Mile in Her Shoes: Men Racing in Heels for DVA

Currently, Alpha Chi Omega’s (AXO) national philanthropic mission is focused on raising awareness about the prevalence of domestic violence. Throughout the year, the organization holds a series of events to raise funds for the local Refuge House, including Donuts for DVA in October and Pizza Pie with Alpha Chi in February. However, the most anticipated event of the year is definitely the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event that takes place every April.

What is Walk a Mile in Her Shoes?

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is an international event that aims to acknowledge gender-based violence and promote gender equality. The phrase “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” comes from the saying, “You can’t understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.” The event traditionally involves men walking a mile in women’s high-heeled shoes to symbolize their willingness to take a stand against gender-based violence and support women’s rights.

Alpha Chi Omega (AXO) at Florida State University (FSU) is holding its second annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on April 16 from 1-3 p.m. in the backyard of the AXO Chapter Facility (518 W Park Ave). The event is especially significant because April is National Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), and the “Her” in the event name represents all of the women who have survived domestic violence and sexual assault. AXO recognizes that domestic violence is not an easy topic to discuss, but the women in this sorority are passionate about shedding light on this sensitive subject.

How will the event work?

Members from the Interfraternity Council (IFC), National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPH) and Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) community will form teams of 10 to participate in a bracket-style relay race. To run in the race, each team must contribute $100. The participants will then race in high-heeled shoes to symbolize their pledge against any and all violence against women. Each team will also have two AXO team captains to support and cheer them on as they cross the finish line.

Fundraising is a significant incentive for this event, therefore, the team that raises the most money will receive $250 which will go toward their own organization’s philanthropy. As this is a friendly competition, the top three finishers will also win a glittery high-heeled shoe trophy.

Spectators are heavily encouraged to attend and support the cause. Tickets can be purchased through AXO’s crowdchange for $5 or at the door for $7. This ticket includes food, drinks, vendors and insight from a speaker from the local Refuge House who intends to share the importance of their work in the community and provide support resources available in the area.

Last year, AXO raised over $40,000 and they are hoping to exceed that amount this year. 85 percent of the proceeds will go to the Tallahassee Refuge House whose mission is to offer direct assistance to survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence, as well as their children and families. Additionally, the Refuge House aims to eradicate such forms of violence through community education and public advocacy. The other 15 percent of the proceeds will go to the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation which aids AXO’s philanthropic efforts throughout the year.

Overall, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is a unique and fun way for the FSU community to support an important cause and take a stand against domestic violence. AXO’s dedication to its mission is commendable and Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is an excellent showcase of its efforts!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lexi is a third-year student at FSU majoring in public relations. She enjoys spending time with friends, coffee, concerts, reading, and the beach.