Visit MoFA’s Anne Frank Exhibit

Discovered in the attic in which she spent most of her life, Anne Frank documented what it was like to be a teenager in a time of war in a diary. Her iconic voice has transcended through generations and has inspired millions. Now, her legacy continues to live on at our very own university.

FSU’s Museum of Fine Arts is displaying the exhibit Anne Frank: A History for Today, touring all the way from New York’s Anne Frank Center. This unique opportunity offers an exclusive look into the life of the Holocaust victim and famous diarist.

In Anne Frank’s book, The Diary of a Young Girl, she reveals her experience in hiding alongside her family, and expresses her desire to be a writer. Her diary serves as an honest depiction of not only history, but also what it was like to be young during this tragic period. Even after all these years, this classic novel has remained relevant because it portrays the importance of equality, coming of age, courage, and forgiveness; social issues in which we are still facing today. In this exhibit, her story comes to life and can resonate with each and every one of us. It reminds us to always strive for unity and peace in the world. 

It is important for the students of FSU to take advantage of such an opportunity because we can all take something beneficial out of this exhibit visit. Whether we allow the work of a 13-year-old girl to inspire us, or are filled with disgust from the horrors of war, we will all leave the museum as a changed person.

It is crucial for us to use these resources as a vehicle for our future successes; if there’s one thing that we take from this, it’s that one person has the power to change the world. This exhibit was made to reflect on oneself, the past and the present and most importantly, to become aware of the oppression found in our history (not to mention in our daily lives).

Courtesy: Victoria Weler

The display includes photographs and objects dating back from the Franks’ time in hiding to their captivity. The Museum of Fine Arts is also showcasing items from the Institute on World War II and The Human Experience.

Interestingly enough, a neighbor of the Franks’ family in Amsterdam, Pieter Kohnstam, gave a lecture of one hour on Friday, Jan. 8, 2016, at the Temple Israel here in Tallahassee. We highly encourage students to take advantage of this wonderful possibility!

The Anne Frank – A History for Today exhibition will run from Jan. 4 to Feb. 7. College students will be glad to hear that admission is FREE and completely open to the public! The Museum of Fine Arts is open from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. so make sure to stop by in between classes if you can. It is also open on weekends from 1-4 p.m.

For more information feel free to contact:

Museum of Fine Arts

250 Fine Arts Building

530 W. Call Street

Tallahassee, Florida 32306-1140

Phone: 850-644-6836

E-mail: mofa@fsu.edu

Her Campus at Florida State University.