Culture > News

Veterans Student Union Holds Fallen Heroes Ceremony

This past Monday, the Veterans Student Union at Florida State University held the Fallen Heroes Ceremony to remember those who have lost their lives in the line of duty and to honor those who risk their lives for our safety and freedom every day. Under the leadership of students Georgia Brown and Jonathan Levin, the event was made possible by efforts from numerous organizations on campus and FSU students. Prior to coming to FSU, Brown and Levin attended Pompano Beach High School where the idea for this ceremony originated. Their high school has held this ceremony for the past 14 years and this year the alumni introduced it at the university. Attendees gathered on Mina Jo Powell Alumni Green where 6,973 American flags were placed, each flag representative of a US service member Killed In Action since the declaration of the War on Terror.

Courtesy: Tallahassee

Attached to each flag was the name and photo of a service member, his or her Killed in Action date, hometown, and their branch of service. Five separate sections were set aside for service members that graduated from FSU or had family who worked at the university. The ceremony included a color guard by the AFROTC program, as well as appearances by guest speaker Col. Billy Francis, and Taps.

Courtesy: Tallahassee

The Fallen Heroes Ceremony is just one part of the Veteran’s Student Union’s month-long effort to appreciate past members of the military. The VSU has dedicated the month of November to honoring veterans through numerous events, a few of which are right around the corner!  They invite everyone to join them on November 17th for the 9th annual Captain John Tinsley Memorial 5k. A Seminole Battalion Brother, Captain John Tinsley, was Killed In Action on August 9th, 2019, while serving in Afghanistan, and this race is held in his honor every year by members of the FSU Seminole Battalion. In addition to remembering Captain Tinsley, the race is also a fundraising effort for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The race starts at 8 am on Langford Green, and breakfast will be provided!

Courtesy: Instagram

The VSU has done an incredible job this past month in rallying the Tallahassee community together to appreciate our veterans. Everyone from President John Thrasher, to sorority sisters in Alpha Omicron Pi, has showed up and showed out at various events meant to honor and remember those in the line of duty. For more information about upcoming events during Veterans Appreciation Month, the VSU encourages you to visit their website. Given the success of their first annual month-long effort to honor veterans, members of the Tallahassee community should anticipate more of these special events next November.

Courtesy: Tallahassee

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Addy Crosby is a Florida State University alumna.
Her Campus at Florida State University.