Veterans Film Festival to Screen Above the Best in its Ninth Year

Chances are if you don’t personally know someone who has served in the military, you know of someone who does. Whether a loved one or a total stranger, Americans put their lives on the line every day so that we might be safe, and it is so important that we remember to thank, honor, and remember them for their service. The Tallahassee community has chosen to pay its respects in holding an annual Veterans Film Festival to raise awareness of veterans’ issues. For its ninth year, the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts Torchlight Program will be presenting the film Above the Best.

Courtesy: Michelle Abraira

Above the Best tells the story of Dan Flores, an Apache pilot in his first year of deployment to a dangerous village in Afghanistan. This story is based on the best-selling book, “South of Heaven.” In addition to Flores’s own experience, the experiences of army aviators, in general, are covered in the film, including potential dangers or struggles that arise throughout their combat missions. Audiences can appreciate real footage from inside aircraft cockpits, and interviews with a handful and pilots and trainees. It is the goal of aviators in combat to fly “above the best,” hence the appropriate title of the film.

Courtesy: Michelle Abraira

This will be the fourth time that a film by co-directors David Salzburg and Christian Tureaud is shown at FSU’s annual festival. FSU is recognized in the credits of Above the Best as it has faithfully supported Salzburg and Tureaud in their efforts to share the stories and realities of individuals who have served. This year, audiences are in for a treat both before and after the screening of the film. Country music star Billy Dean will lead those in attendance in singing the national anthem prior to the start of the film, and following the screening, co-director Salzburg will be available for a question-and-answer segment with the audience.

Courtesy: FSU News

This year, the presentation of Above the Best will be brought to audiences by the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts Torchlight Program and the Veterans Student Union. It is set to screen on Thursday, Nov. 7th, at 7 PM, and will be shown at the CMX Cinema Fallschase right here in Tallahassee, FL. Admission is free, however, seating is limited – especially since audiences can anticipate the special treat of country singer Billy Dean and director David Salzburg to be in attendance of the film. Above the Best is brought to the local community on behalf of Florida State University, Torchlight Cinematheque, Veterans Alliance, College of Motion Picture Arts, and the Office of the President.

Courtesy: Michelle Abraira

Director of the Student Veterans Center Billy Francis shares that “this is [their] ninth year of presenting a documentary that illuminates the experiences of active and former service members. These film screenings have been instrumental in raising awareness of veterans issues within the campus and local community.” Dean of the FSU Film School Reb Braddock echoed these sentiments, adding that Florida State has a campus-wide commitment to its student veterans’ success. “The College of Motion Picture Arts Torchlight Cinematheque is proud to contribute to this culture of respect for the difficult work of American soldiers while continuing to bring the power of story to the Tallahassee community,” he said. Francis invites students to “join [them] for an evening celebrating service and community.”

Courtesy: Michelle Abraira

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Addy Crosby is a Florida State University alumna.
Her Campus at Florida State University.