Career

Vanishing Businesses in Tallahassee: Now You See Them, Now You Don’t

As the pandemic affects the public, businesses continue to be affected as well. After coming back to Tallahassee from a very long and restful Thanksgiving and Christmas break, I couldn’t help but notice that local Tallahassee businesses had closed. This came as a complete surprise as Tallahassee natives and students like me enjoy these businesses that provide a quick and tasty bite. As I conducted research for this article, I saw that many local Godiva shops would also be closing across North America. Godiva noticed a significant number of sales online because the public shifted to online shopping. This really made me take a step back and find out what well-known places in Tallahassee have closed due to the pandemic.

After a tough 2020 due to the on-going pandemic, Tallahassee businesses have struggled to get back on their feet and re-open. These local places, especially those closer to campus, rely on the students and faculty of FSU, FAMU and TCC for business and their livelihoods. Some Tallahassee businesses worry that with online classes, they will lose many students and faculty who stay near the Tallahassee area. Munchies Pizza owner, Eric Riser, is concerned that without basketball games and events held on campus, students won’t pass through campus and ultimately through his business. Like him, many other businesses are worried about their futures. Some have even been open for over 20 years and unfortunately, they are being forced to close due to the lack of business from the public.

Support sign with yellow background
Photo by Thirdman from Pexels

Now, dozens of businesses are permanently closed as the pandemic continues to impact the Big Bend. Places that are closer to campus, such as Catalina’s on Apalachee, Merv’s Melt Shop on Railroad Avenue and Good Berry on Gay Street, are no longer operating for business. Hoping to bring a little bit of Cuban pastries and treats to the local Tallahassee area, Chi Chi’s opened almost two years ago on Tennessee Street. Yet, they too had to close their doors in the face of the growing pandemic. Chain restaurants like Kool Beanz Café are even thinking of closing temporarily. They have noticed that Tallahassee locals are avoiding dine-in restaurants and prefer to stay home.

Despite being affected by the pandemic, Tallahassee locals are coming together to support their favorite businesses. Businesses are hoping that with the vaccine and the help of stimulus checks, they will have better success in 2021. A few businesses in Tallahassee actually applied for the LEON Cares Act in order to obtain funds. These businesses have been able to stay open because of these funds, and they hope that they won’t have to close their doors in the near future. While some businesses hope to survive, others are just starting to open their doors. A restaurant near Thomasville was finally able to expand, even employing 50 more individuals. Their grand opening was held not too long ago, and the owners encouraged the public that this too shall pass.

Even if you’re not currently living in Tallahassee, I encourage you to shop small and support your local businesses. You never know who might need it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.