Use This Holiday Music To Talk Politics With Your Family

It’s Thanksgiving, which means that the holiday season has officially begun and with it, the music. While that’s great news for Christmas tree farms and custom menorah makers, if your family tends to get a little bit heated at the dinner table it may not be the best time of year for you.

It’s tough to discuss politics in a civil way these days, especially when it seems like the people you’re talking to are close-minded or unsympathetic to everything you’re saying. So, I’ve compiled some tips and tricks on how to navigate the political discourse in your household, along with some of my favorite winter songs to go with them (it’s NEVER too early for holiday music).

“Do You Hear What I Hear?”

Recognize that if you and your family are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, you probably listen to, watch and read very different news sources. You may be approaching the conversation with opposing information and “facts” that are heavily opinionated. Perhaps it’s good practice to start with what you agree to be true before branching into what you think ought to be correct.

“Go Tell it On the Mountain”

My first piece of advice: speak your truth. Like this song preaches, don’t be afraid to get up on that hill and say your piece. As a college kid at the “adult” table, it can sometimes feel like your opinion isn’t as important or informed as your older relatives. But your perspective is just as valuable as theirs, especially if you’ve got evidence to back it up.

“Hannukah, Oh Hanukkah!”

Inclusion is important. Not just in your holiday playlist, but in your family discussions as well! Understand that your opinions have probably been informed and colored by your experiences and identity. But there are a lot of different people in this country and on this Earth! Try to structure your discussions around understanding, recognizing and respecting this idea.

Thanksgiving dinner place setting
Photo by Debby Hudson from Unsplash

“When You Wish Upon a Star”

… you might find yourself disappointed when that wish doesn’t come true. It’s the same thing with political debate: if you set your sights too high on the outcome of the conversation, you’ll be sorely saddened. Remember that one conversation (or two, or five) isn’t necessarily going to transform your relative’s opinion. You might do well to enter these exchanges with the sole goal of understanding a different perspective and not changing anyone’s mind. The conversation may even be more meaningful that way.

“Cold December Night”

As much as we all joke about screaming at each other over the turkey and cranberry sauce, having conversations about politics can actually be quite the challenge. The atmosphere can get pretty chilly, and the situation can feel hopeless. Moments of that vulnerability and sadness are normal, and while it’s important to ultimately rise above it, forgive yourself for feeling it sometimes.

“What Christmas Means to Me” by Stevie Wonder

Don’t lose sight of what the holiday season is really about. What does it mean to you? Is convincing your great aunt that everything she believes is wrong your primary goal? Is making it known that you’re the most “woke” at the table what you want to get out of this season’s family meals? Remember that there is a time for hanging up the political hat and just being grateful for the family you were born into.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Jordyn is originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to Florida at the age of 13. A total bookworm, she loves any situation where a cup of tea and a good novel is involved. She is an Editing, Writing, and Media & Information Technology double major at Florida State University, but is currently studying abroad at the University of Sussex in Brighton, England. When she's not reading and writing, she dreams of traveling the world. Her favorite word is eclectic.
Her Campus at Florida State University.