Updates in the Brett Kavanaugh Allegations

*The opinions and views written in this article do not represent those of Her Campus FSU as a whole.

Deborah Ramirez is the second woman to accuse Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh of sexual assault on Sunday, September 23rd, preceded by Christine Blasey Ford. 53-year-old Ramirez has accused Kavanaugh of exposing himself to her during a college dorm party at Yale University. Ramirez told The New Yorker that she was originally hesitant to come out with the accusation. She had been drinking the night of the incident and was unsure what part Kavanagh played in the situation due to holes in her memory. She spent several days discussing this circumstance with her attorney to recollect memories before confidently making the claim. Following this allegation, Kavanaugh denied the event in the following statement, “This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen, and have said so. This is a smear, plain and simple. I look forward to testifying on Thursday about the truth, and defending my good name — and the reputation for character and integrity I have spent a lifetime building — against these last-minute allegations.” Furthermore, Spokeswoman Kerri Kupec stated, “This 35-year-old, uncorroborated claim is the latest in a coordinated smear campaign by the Democrats designed to tear down a good man.”

The following Wednesday, September 28, a third woman, Julie Swetnick, came forward with another allegation of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh. Swetnick, age 55, claimed Kavanaugh would attend house parties and would behave in a highly inappropriate manner towards women during his schooling in the 1980’s at Georgetown Preparatory School. Swetnick’s entire claim can be seen here. In this correspondence with Swetnick, she makes several claims of Kavanaugh committing sexual assault at parties where the woman was “verbally abused, inappropriately touched, made ‘disoriented’ with alcohol or drugs and ‘gang raped.’” Swetnick’s most impactful claim is that she witnessed Kavanaugh waiting in line with other boys outside of a bedroom “waiting for their ‘turn’ with a girl inside the room.” Swetnick shared her own experience of sexual assault at these parties as well but did not accuse Kavanaugh as being the perpetrator.

Courtesy: Vox

Kavanaugh continues to deny any and all allegations of sexual misconduct. He appeared with his wife on Fox News to deny the current allegations against him while insisting he has “always treated women with dignity and respect.” He has said that Julie Swetnick’s allegations are “ridiculous and from the Twilight Zone,” and even goes as far as denying ever knowing Swetnick, “I don’t know who this is and this never happened.”

President Trump continues to support and stand by Kavanaugh and stated on twitter that Julie Swetnick’s attorney, Michael Avenatti, is a “third-rate lawyer who is good at making false accusations.” Trump and Avenatti have been in a similar situation before due to Avenatti’s representation of Stephanie Clifford (Stormy Daniels). Trump claims they are just looking for a spot in the limelight.

Two new allegations, both within the same week -only days apart- stand against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. And while he has denied all accusations, many people are still anticipating a sound and solid truth from either side.

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.