Upcoming Concerts That You Don’t Want To Miss In Tallahassee And Beyond

There are few things in this world that are as exciting as finding out that one of your favorite bands is playing right in your area…and nothing as frustrating as realizing that it happened last week. To help keep that problem at bay – at least for the next couple of months – here’s a run-down of some of the biggest music events coming up in Tallahassee, as well as the relatively close Gainesville, Orlando, and Tampa (to make sure all of your bases this side of Florida are covered).

Caribou (Tallahassee – Club Downunder, November 20th, 8:30 PM)

If you liked Washed Out when they played at the Union Green in August, you might also like electronic act Caribou. The man behind the name, Canada-born multi-instrumentalist Dan Snaith, incorporates psychedelic influences, bouncy rhythms, and fluid repeating melodies into his music for a truly infectious sound. He plays after opener Jessy Lanza, an R&B-inspired songwriter, at Club Downunder on November 20th. Doors open at 8:30 and the show starts at 9, and of course, entrance is free for FSU students with a valid student ID.

Aaron Carter (Tallahassee – Pug’s Live, November 20th, 8:00 PM)

Yes, that’s right – Aaron Carter is playing right here in Tallahassee, also on November 20th. You can go and jump up and down to “I Want Candy” and “Aaron’s Party (Come Get It)” like it’s 2001. Next thing you know NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys will reform and they’ll all hit the road together as a tour-de-force of early 2000’s heartthrob excellence.

Boyce Avenue (Tallahassee – The Moon, November 21st, 6:00 PM)

Consisting of a trio of very attractive brothers, alt-rock band Boyce Avenue is unusual in that it first hit the music scene via YouTube, gaining attention through performing acoustic covers as well as some of their own songs. They’re playing a benefit concert for Dance Marathon of FSU at The Moon on November 21st at 6 (doors open at 5), and although it’s not free, your money will go towards helping children with serious illnesses get the medical care they need.

2 Chainz (Orlando – Orlando Classic, November 22nd, 7:00 PM)

Georgia-born 2 Chainz has come a long way from when he first went solo in 2007 and released his “Me Against The World” mixtape; he now seems to be the go-to guy for guest verses, working with artists like Major Lazer, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil Wayne, and Pharrell Williams. You can see him perform live in Orlando on November 22nd (that’s a Saturday, so you wouldn’t even have to miss any classes!).

We The Kings (Tallahassee – The Side Bar Theater, December 4th, 6:00 PM)

You probably remember this pop-punk band from your middle school years, and mostly for their notoriously catchy song “Check Yes Juliet.” They also did a song with Demi Lovato titled “We’ll Be A Dream.” Anyone who’s worked with Demi Lovato must be pretty cool. We The Kings is playing in Tally on December 4th, and also in Orlando on December 14th.

The Big Ticket Music Festival (Jacksonville – Metropolitan Park, December 5th)

Featuring Fall Out Boy, Weezer, Alt-J, and Young the Giant, to name a few

The Big Ticket Music Festival is undoubtedly one of the most exciting music fests coming up in Florida’s near future. Some of the bands lined up include Fall Out Boy, Weezer, Alt-J, Young the Giant, New Politics, Bear Hands, and many more. Set times for each band will be released two weeks before the show on the Big Ticket Fest website, where you can find more information about the lineup, tickets, hotels, and the December 4th pre-party.

Usher, August Alsina, DJ Cassidy (Orlando – Amway Center, December 12th, 7:30 PM; Tampa – Amalie Arena, December 14th, 7:30 PM)

Usher has done an admirable job keeping his music career active over the last decade or so, with 2012 seeing the release of his fourth number one album. He collaborated with Nicki Minaj on his 2014 hit song “She Came To Give It To You.” Usher is playing with DJ Cassidy and R&B singer August Alsina in Orlando on December 12th and in Tampa on December 14th.

The Black Keys and St. Vincent (Tampa – Amalie Arena, December 16th, 8:00 PM; Orlando – Amway Center, December 17th, 8:00 PM)

I’m super excited about this one. I’m a big fan of both blues-rock band The Black Keys and rock/electronic artist St. Vincent – although truth be told I’m not really sure why they’re playing in the same concert, seeing as their musical styles are quite different, but I’m not about to complain. You can catch them in Tampa on December 16th or in Orlando on the 17th. Also, in case you’re in south Florida over the holiday break, they’ll also be playing at the BB&T Center in Fort Lauderdale on the 15th at 8 PM.

Of Montreal (Tallahassee – The Moon, January 13th, 8:00 PM)

This indie-pop group emerged from the Elephant 6 Recording Company collective, which includes other indie outfits like Neutral Milk Hotel and The Apples In Stereo. Their latest album, Lousy With Sylvianbriar, carries roots rock influences, channeling musicians and bands like Neil Young and the Rolling Stones. Of Montreal is playing with opener Nedelle Torrisi at The Moon on January 13th at 8 (doors open at 7), and entrance is free for FSU students with valid ID. They are also playing at multiple other Florida cities: Orlando on January 6th, Pensacola on the 14th, Gainesville on the 15th, Orlando again on the 16th, Miami on the 18th, and Jacksonville Beach on the 19th. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.