Upcoming Concerts: Iron & Wine

On January 23rd, it was announced via twitter (@clubdownunder) that Iron & Wine is playing a show Sunday, March 2nd at The Moon. The show is being put on by Union Productions, meaning FSU students get into the show for free. But due to the popularity of Iron & Wine, only the first 1,000 FSU students with valid IDs to show up are going to get in the door for free. There will also be a special guest playing the show in addition to Iron & Wine, but the artist has yet to be announced, but will be as we get closer to the show date.

Iron & Wine is the stage name for Sam Beam. Beam graduated with his Master of Fine Arts degree from Florida State’s College of Motion Picture Arts before going on to release Iron & Wine’s first album. Iron & Wine has put out a total of five full-length studio albums spanning from 2002 to 2013. Along with the studio albums, there have been three live albums and one compilation. He has also put out seven EPs – three are iTunes exclusive, and one is his live set at Lollapalooza in 2006. His work has been featured on quite a lot of TV shows and movies including Friday Night Lights, Ugly Betty, Grey’s Anatomy, Twilight and The Lone Ranger. You might recognize him for some of his more popular songs like “Naked As We Came,” “Flightless Bird,” “American Mouth” and his cover of The Postal Service song “Such Great Heights.”

On this short run through the South, Iron & Wine is playing a total of seven shows in Florida, which is fairly uncommon for an artist to do. Usually Florida will only get one or two stops on a tour, but on this one, Florida gets seven out of the ten dates. If you don’t get a chance to see Iron & Wine at The Moon, you have the chance to catch one of his shows earlier that week at one of his other Florida shows. In addition to this tour, Iron & Wine is playing at a couple of music festivals over the summer. One of the festivals is Shaky Knees in Atlanta, Georgia in early May.

Other upcoming concerts coming to Tallahassee put on by Union Productions and Club Downunder include:

• February 1st: Turquoise Jeep & Yip Deceiver with Kosha Dillz at Club Downunder
  • February 4th: St. Paul and the Broken Bones at Club Downunder
  • February 6th: The Hood Internet at Club Downunder
  • February 7th: Sango at Club Downunder
  • February 19th: Caveman at Club Downunder
  • March 23rd: Gavin Degraw at The Moon

As with all shows put on by Union Productions, these are free to FSU students with a valid student ID if they are 18 and up.

More information about the show and the rest of Iron & Wine’s tour can be found on his website (ironandwine.com), and more about shows in Tallahassee can be found on Union Productions’ website (up.union.fsu.edu), as well as The Moon’s (moonevents.com).

Kayla Jewell is a senior Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University, minoring in Communications and Film Studies. She doesn't like to think about what happens after graduation. When she’s not doing schoolwork, Kayla spends her time stalking celebrities on the internet, taking naps, and going to concerts.
Her Campus at Florida State University.