Upcoming Concerts Coming to Florida State

During the month of February, Florida State University will be having very special guests attending –  legendary dancer Twyla Tharp along with her dance company and legendary artist Smokey Robinson.

Twyla Tharp has choreographed more than 160 works since graduating from Barnard College in 1963. One hundred twenty-nine dances, twelve television specials, six Hollywood movies, four full-length ballets, four Broadway shows and two figure skating routines, to name a few.  She received one Tony Award, two Emmy Awards, 19 honorary doctorates, the Vietnam Veterans of America President’s Award, the 2004 National Medal of the Arts, the 2008 Jerome Robbins Prize and a 2008 Kennedy Center Honor. In 1965, Ms. Tharp founded her dance company, Twyla Tharp Dance.  Her dances are known for creativity, wit and technical precision coupled with a streetwise nonchalance by combining different forms of movement such as jazz, ballet, boxing and inventions of her own making. Ultimately, Ms. Tharp’s work expands the boundaries of ballet and modern dance.  

Courtesy: chicagomag.com

With that being said, an astounding woman and her dance company will be here at Florida State University for her 50th Anniversary tour on Wednesday, Feb 8, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall. Click here for more information. 

Courtesy: whartoncity.com

Smokey Robinson is an American singer, songwriter, record producer and former record executive. He was also the founder and front man of the Motown vocal group the Miracles, for which he also served as the group’s chief songwriter and producer from 1955 – 1972. Robinson was once pronounced by Bob Dylan as America’s “greatest living poet.” Acclaimed singer-songwriter Smokey Robinson’s career spans over 4 decades of hits. He has received numerous awards including the Grammy Living Legend Award, NARAS Lifetime Achievement Award, Honorary Doctorate (Howard University), Kennedy Center Honors and the National Medal of Arts Award from the President of the United States. He has also been inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame. 

Courtesy of: www.smokeyrobinson.com

With that being said, this amazing man will be here at Florida State University on Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.  at Ruby Diamond Concert Hall. Click here for more information. 

Hello, I am Candida Pouchie. I am currently an Editing, Writing and Media major at The Florida State University. I aspire to one day pursue a career as a Television Personality or a Journalist. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.