Prepare yourself for a week full of fun! Beginning April 14th, the Askew Student Life Center is hosting ASLC Music Fest, a festival celebrating music and its creators through movies and events. Unfortunately, we all lead busy lives and can’t attend every single (and awesome) event. With that in mind, we have a few suggestions on what we think will be some of the greatest highlights of the week. So grab your calendars and a pen, and mark down these dates and times!

1.     The Sound of Music (1965)

The Sound of Music is playing on the BIG screen April 14th at 7:30 p.m. How can you not be excited about that? This classic musical was released over 20 years before we were born, which left us at a disadvantage. We weren’t able to enjoy the power of the von Trapp family in all its glory on the big screen, but the ASLC is giving us the chance now! If that doesn’t convince you to come, then just remember, Christopher Plummer (a.k.a. Captain von Trapp) was extremely attractive back in the day. Imagine staring at that handsome face for three hours…swoon.

2.     Walk the Line (2005)

Walk the Line is a fantastic biographical film, and it is playing April 16th at 7:00 p.m. It tells the early life story of country singer Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix). Johnny Cash’s lyrics accompanied by Joaquin Phoenix’s voice is enough to relax the most stressed out student. So this could be a great study break! But it’s more than that; the film offers a little something for everyone. You may even say that Walk the Line hits the movie trifecta with romance, drama, and music.

3.     Multicultural Music Showcase

It’s going to be a celebration! The Multicultural Music Showcase is being held April 17th at 8:30 in the 101 rooms (in the ASLC), and you can expect to see a variety of organizations in attendance. Together, through music and dance, the many organizations will be representing cultures from around the world. We should all take advantage of fun opportunities like this. Expanding your knowledge of and enjoying other cultures is essential to personal growth.

4.     Battle of the Bands

Who doesn’t enjoy rocking out—especially at a FREE musical event? The Student Life Cinema is hosting a Battle of the Bands event April 19th at 7:00 p.m. in ASLC Courtyard. Eight local bands will be fighting for your attention in this music competition, which makes it a great opportunity to support local talent. It is also an opportunity to relax and celebrate good times with friends. You can join the event on Facebook here!

Remember that all these events are free for FSU students, and they are also great opportunities to de-stress (especially with finals quickly approaching!). Be sure to stop by the ASLC lobby and pick up a printed schedule, which has a complete list of the upcoming music festival events. All of these ASLC Music Fest events are sure to be amazing and fun, and we highly encourage you to check them out!

Her Campus at Florida State University.