Union Productions to Hold Volunteer Drive

Think back to the summer before your freshman year, when you were attending orientation. For some, that may be more recent than others, but try to remember. Orientation is probably not something you look back fondly on; exhaustingly long days in the thick Tallahassee summer heat. Typically, one of the activities you can participate in during orientation free time is a dance party at Club Downunder, scream-singing the lyrics to various throwback hits with the orientation leaders and lots of kids that you’ll probably never see again.

For many, this may be the last time they attend an event at Club Downunder, Florida State’s on campus concert venue, located in the Oglesby Union. Chances are, however, most students have probably heard about or participated in a Union Productions event without consciously knowing it. They host over 100 events a year, from concerts and comedy shows, to lectures and daytime events, all of which are free to Florida State students. Notable acts from just the previous year alone include singer-songwriter Elle King, actor James Franco and comedian Chris Gethard, to name a few. Maybe you went to the Earl Sweatshirt concert on Union Green at the beginning of the semester? Union Productions was behind it all.

Courtesy of: Union Productions/Club Downunder

Club Downunder is the venue which encompasses Union Productions, a venue which is almost entirely student run, and it is also one of the only on campus club venues in the nation. Though Club Downunder has only been functioning as a venue since 1971, Union Productions in its earliest form has been around since the mid-sixties, curating various events and programs under a multitude of different names before finally becoming Union Productions in 2005.

The organization depends heavily on their volunteers to help them plan and execute the numerous events that Union Productions offers throughout the year. Union Productions will once again be hosting their annual volunteer drive on Monday, September 19th, and Tuesday, September 20th from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Club Downunder. Students can interview for any or all of the four departments; public relations, hospitality, programming (event planning) or production.

Public relations volunteers will work to promote the events through social media, marketing, press and promotional materials.

Hospitality volunteers will help to accommodate artists and performers, fulfill their needs and create a welcoming environment for both performers and patrons alike.

Programming volunteers will work to plan and execute a number of events in areas such as concerts, lectures, special events like Haunted Harvest or Spring Fling and comedy events.

Production volunteers will learn how to operate lights and sound equipment in order to run the show.

While some of these positions may seem daunting, no experience is necessary for any of these departments. Students are encouraged to arrive to interviews early and interview for as many departments as they want. Those interested only need to attend one evening of interviews, but may choose to come both days due to time restrictions. After spending the year working in these various departments, volunteers can interview for a paid staff position and continue to work within Union Productions. Union Productions has something for everyone, so be sure to come out and get involved.

A Media and Communications Studies & Spanish double major with an unhealthy love for corgis. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.