Undefeated Women’s Sand Volleyball Heads to Stetson

Kasey Lynch and Miranda Mauro (K&M) are out to prove that sports aren’t just for the male gender. Every week we will be giving you updates on what’s going on in the sports world as well as our own perspective on sports-related topics. “Two Girls and Some Sports” is taking the sports column to the next level. And yes, we know what we’re talking about.

The Florida State Women’s Sand Volleyball team had a great start to their first season under new head coach Brooke Niles. Niles is a rock star and an amazing addition to the Seminole Sand Volleyball roster. She was an All-American honors player when she was in college at UC Santa Barbara and has a huge range of experience with both sand and indoor volleyball. Her knowledge of the sport is proving immensely helpful for the Noles so far this season, which the girls started with a scrimmage and an Alumni match.

Courtesy: Seminoles Athletics

These tournaments prepared them for their first official regular season match against South Carolina, whom the girls swept over, taking all five matches and leaving the Gamecocks with a slow start to their season. During the same weekend, the Noles took on Arizona State. After the entire first tournament was over, the Noles traveled back home with two wins under their belts. Throughout the beginning of March the Seminoles won every single match, bringing their record to 6-0 before meeting one of their hardest opponents of the season, UCLA, at their home courts. Heading into the match the Seminoles were ranked number four while UCLA sat at third; throughout the day the Noles dropped two games to UCLA. When the last match started, Vanessa Friere and Sierra Sanchez went up against UCLA pair Zana Muno and Reily Buechler. Friere/Sanchez clenched the victory for the Seminoles, winning their final match 21-17, 21-19.

Courtesy: Seminoles Athletics

When the Noles ended up back in Tallahassee, they turned right around and hit the road again. The Seminoles have been on the road the entire season so far. This past weekend they traveled to Stetson in Deland Florida to battle UCLA again, as well as Florida International University and Hawaii. Continuing their winning streak, they won against both UCLA and FIU. Unfortunately, the Sandy Noles streak came to an end on March 25 at the hands of Hawaii. The sand volleyball team has a record of 14-1, which is impressive. On April 15 the Seminoles will finally have a home tournament where they will host Georgia State, UAB, Tulane and College of Charleston. Keep an eye out for how the rest of the season will go!

Hello all! My name is Kasey and I am currently an English and Media Communications double major here at Florida State. I have been with Her Campus for over a year now and write for the sports column called "Two Girls and Some Sports." I love ESPN and everything outdoors. Traveling is also a very important aspect of my life! I am infamous for binge watching Netflix, making cookies and playing volleyball any chance I get.
Her Campus at Florida State University.