The Twitter Gods Finally Answered Us

We all know that Twitter is almost everyone’s main source of news— from celebrity (and political) gossip to the latest memes, because Facebook gets wind of everything weeks too late. *Cue messages from your mother, tagging you in something that you already saw last month*

Courtesy: Memes.com

When Hurricane Hermine came all up in our city, Twitter was the place most Tally residents turned to for up-to-date information regarding the storm, once everyone and their mother lost power. Without Twitter, we would have been in the dark, literally, when it came to what bars were open in which to drown our sorrows (bless you Madison Social) and where the nearest fresh food was (Club Pub, back at it again with the generators).

Courtesy: Memes.com

When the couple that is the epitome of Relationship Goals files for divorce and breaks the hearts of Americans everywhere, you know Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are trending number one on the site for days.

Courtesy: Onsizzle.com

When President Obama makes a speech at a rally in Philadelphia referencing his “Thanks Obama” meme, of course the Twitter community eats it up.

Courtesy: Reddit.com

Twitter’s user-generated content has kept us all informed and, at least, semi-knowledgeable about the world around us. But let’s look at it from the other side and talk about what’s really important here: our personal tweets. How in the world do I encompass how well informed, hilarious and clever I am in such a short amount of space?

Trying to come up with a pithy status in 140 characters or less has been the definition of “First World Problems” for all of us since the beginning of time (or so it seems). We all have had to commit at least one of the deadly Twitter sins, such as, “I guess I don’t need that apostrophe” or “This sentence totally still makes sense without any punctuations at all.” *Insert nervous, sweating emoji*

Courtesy: Intuitivedigital.com

Having to sacrifice explanation for content should be considered a crime. (I.e. Posting an awesome meme and not having enough characters to make your clever comment make sense, or putting your GoFundMe link out there because you’re tired of being broke but don’t have enough space to create a convincing argument.)

WELL, WORRY NOT MY LITTLE SEMINOLES, BECAUSE THE TWITTER GODS HAVE FINALLY ANSWERED US!

Courtesy: Knowyourmeme.com

As of Monday, Sept. 19, 2016, Twitter has softened their 140-character limit. They now allow you to quote tweet as well as post photos, videos and links without counting towards the character limit. This allows for more content to be shared and appreciated, like that selfie you took this weekend with the perfect lighting. So go fellow Noles, post all the Jameis Winston memes, touchdown dance videos and links to Her Campus FSU articles you want because Twitter has finally taken notice that we all need more room to tweet about the important stuff! Happy tweeting, Collegiettes!

Her Campus at Florida State University.