If you are anything like me you have already scrolled past 20+ shows, seen everything on your list at least three times, and cannot find a single show that is binge-worthy enough to put off that essay that is due in two days, okay but let’s be real ANYTHING is better than writing that essay. Lucky enough, I have the perfect shows for you whether it be a juicy drama that will have you on the edge of your seat, a comedy that will have you dying from laughter, or a crime that will have you playing detective. 

Drama

All American

Rating: 7/10

Where to Watch: Netflix 

How Long: 2 Seasons 11 Episodes 

Status: Renewed for Season 3

All American follows the life of talented high school football player, Spencer James, as he plays at South Crenshaw High up until coach Billy Baker, recruits him to play for his team at Beverly Hills high. Despite being hesitant at first, with the help of his mother, Grace James, and his best friend, Coop, Spencer sees a chance to make it big and decides to make the switch. Following his transfer, we see Spencer struggle to fit into Beverly while still being a Crenshaw kid at heart,  along the way, many secrets get revealed about his absentee father and the reason Billy recruited him.             

If you want a show that will have you guessing which character will make it out alive, who’s secret will be revealed next and have you wishing you had some of their bank accounts, then All American is the show for you. Also, BONUS there is some major eye-candy on the show by the name of Cody Christian and Michael Evans Behling. All American has drama, romance and even a little comedic relief every now and then. Not going to lie I binged the first season all on Netflix in about a week and now having to wait every week for a new episode hurts a little. 

Courtesy: Giphy

Comedy

Wild ‘n Out 

Rating: 8.4/10

Where to Watch: Xfinity

How Long: 13 Seasons 

Status: Renewed till Season 16

Wild ‘n Out is an improv comedy show that consists of a series of games with a hip-hop twist as the host Nick Cannon and celebrity guest stars try to lead their team of comics to victory. Unlike traditional TV shows Wild ‘n Out focuses on jokes and punchlines that are freestyled by the cast during games like Hood Jeopardy, Plead the Fifth, and Boo’d Up. What makes this show great is how different it is from normal comedy shows that are scripted. It is the perfect show to watch if you are looking to laugh or you need something to play in the background. Despite being around since 2005 the cast never fails to make you laugh from jokes about Nick Cannon’s failed music career to DC Young Fly’s unique personality. 

Courtesy: Giphy

Crime

9-1-1 

Rating: 9/10

Where to Watch: Hulu

How Long: 3 Seasons 10 Episodes  

Status: Has not been Renewed or Cancelled for Season 4 

9-1-1 gives viewers an intimate look inside the lives of first responders including firefighters, police officers and dispatchers. You are able to get a glimpse into their highly stressful and forever shocking lives. Viewers are able to watch firefighters Evan Buckley, Bobby Nash, Hen Wilson, Chimney Han and Eddie Diaz attempt to balance their personal lives along with saving the lives of people when they are at their most vulnerable. Unlike most crime shows that focuses on a specific profession, 9-1-1 explore the different avenues of being a first responder, which offers a refreshing perspective you rarely get to see. 9-1-1 has the ability to make you laugh till your sides hurt while also making you cry so much you wonder how you are not dehydrated. If you like highly intense and suspenseful scenes that also make your heart melt, then 9-1-1 is most definitely the show for you! BONUS Angela Basset stars in it as the BOSS police officer that does not take crap from anyone.

Courtesy: Giphy

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Jahnaezha McFadden is a fourth-year Biological Science major at Florida State University. She has a passion for advocacy, journalism, and science. She enjoys binging TV shows on Netflix and Hulu and you can typically find her crying over a fictional breakup or death.
Her Campus at Florida State University.