After receiving my Associate’s degree at my local community college in the spring of 2016, I began the process of applying as a transfer student to one of the best universities in the country: Florida State. It was a long and tedious process, but when I received that acceptance email, I was thrilled. Ever since I was little I had dreamed of attending FSU, and the dream was finally coming true.

Although I was so happy to be going, I was also equally terrified. This was my first time leaving home and living on my own. I couldn’t imagine not seeing my family and, let’s be honest, my dog, every day. I was so scared and didn’t know if I could do it. But I knew I had to try. This was my dream and I wasn’t going to let fear hold me back.

Being a transfer student is a tough way to do college, but also a smart and affordable way to earn your degree.  As a transfer, you are thrown into some of the hardest classes you will take in college because you are in your last two years and doing the bulk of your degree. You are also faced with a short amount of time to decide on grad school. You feel like you just got to college, and then before you know it you’re a senior and it’s time to decide what life after college is going to look like. Everything is sped up as a transfer. Your orientation is a one day whirlwind of information and you are basically left to fend for yourself. I felt like a 21 year old freshman, but without the full introduction to the campus and support that college freshmen receive.

Although it was tough in the beginning, transferring to FSU remains one of the best decisions I have ever made. I instantly felt at home here, and my first year was filled with friends, football games and so many memories. It can feel very isolating and lonely at first, but here are some things that helped me make the transition, and that will hopefully help others as well:

1. Explore Campus  

Even though you are a junior and considered an upperclassman, you still are brand new to the school and just learning your way around. At orientation, I was sure I would never understand how to navigate this massive campus, but after a month of walking around and exploring, I was a pro. Our campus is beautiful, especially in the fall months, and getting to know the basic landmarks of campus is always helpful. Plus, there are always fun events going on that you might not know about if you don’t get out and explore, it’s a great way to feel more connected.

2. Get Involved

There are over 650 registered student organizations and clubs on FSU’s campus. There is literally something for everyone, and our student union does an amazing job at putting on free events for students. There is something always going on, from circus shows to luau parties, and there is always some free entertainment and fun waiting to be discovered.

Courtesy: Alexis Cullen

3. Go to Class

I know this is an obvious one, but try not to skip class. Engage in what you are learning, take advantage of this incredible time where really our only main focus is doing well in school. Talk to your classmates, form study groups, go to your professor’s office hours. You won’t regret it.

4. Have Fun

College is an amazing time, so don’t forget to appreciate where you are, because one day you will really miss this. Sure, it’s hard, and your teachers may be tough and you may be broke, but you will look back and wish you could do it all over again. Savor these years, however long you have. Being a transfer student has taught me that it is never too late to make your dreams happen. Live in the moment and trust the timing of your life. You are right where you need to be.

Alexis is a senior this year at Florida State University. She is pursuing a degree in Psychology with minors in education and child development. She loves trail running, spending time with her family and amazing boyfriend Blake, watching netflix and eating massive amounts of peanut butter. You can find her on Facebook and Instagram @lexie_cullen.
Her Campus at Florida State University.