True Life: I am a Liberal Who Still Has Hope for this Country

Yes, I am both a democrat and a Bernie Sanders supporter, and yes, I am terribly distraught about Barack Obama’s exodus from the White House; however, I will try to support President Donald Trump in this next chapter of our presidential history here in the United States.          

For those of you reading this who may know me, you are most likely thinking, “Who is this girl and what has she done with Jordan Glover?” You know that I am fairly liberal, having constantly surrounded myself with accepting and open-minded individuals, as well as having attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Tampa, FL last March, supporting him from the stands as he spoke on national television.

In light of the recent inauguration of President Trump, I would like to express my feelings going into these next four years. To those who voted for him: congratulations! You got what you wanted. While it is obviously acceptable to rejoice and to express feelings of contentment, it is also important to acknowledge those negatively affected by the results, who have been personally victimized and offended by President Trump’s words and plans as our next leader. One of the traits that we lack the most in our society is empathy, and the ability to support others as they go through a period of suffering.

Now don’t get me wrong – I am not condoning any of the racist, sexist or ignorant slurs that have been pronounced in several of his past debates. I am not condoning the building of a wall, the defunding of Planned Parenthood, or the implementation of a strict immigration policy. I am most certainly not failing to acknowledge global climate change as a real and serious threat to our planet. I will always stay true to my personal beliefs and morals, and although this is rather difficult for me to discuss, especially on the Internet, I am here to try to reassure everyone that there is still hope.

Just like any other hardship in our lives, we cannot simply stay aggravated and bitter toward those around us who disagree with us- this will only create a larger divide than we have had in this split democracy. If you are upset, do something about it. If you are passionate about any of the issues in our government, whether they pertain to the environment, economy or healthcare, stand up and get involved in your community to make a difference. You have a voice, so use it. This does not mean that you should start violent uproars in the streets or exclaim insults outside of the White House, but it is also not enough to express dissatisfaction from behind a computer screen while flooding people’s Facebook feeds.

To be frank, I would have never thought to write this type of article about President Trump if he hadn’t been elected. But I have learned to come to terms with the fact that he is officially our administrator and that, unless he is impeached, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. I try to convince myself every day that he has been radical in his declared strategies simply in order to gain publicity and appeal in America’s louder audiences, and that once he is officially in office, he will act in a more reasonable and presidential manner.

I am not here to say “Make America Great Again.” I am not going to sport the distinctive red hat (it’s just not my color). If you, too, were upset with the results of the election, try to have faith with me that President Trump will do his best to provide policies that suit a vast variety of needs that will make our country whole again.

This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU.

Her Campus at Florida State University.