free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tricks to Getting an Awesome Internship

There are tons of search engines, books, articles, and workshops about how to land an internship.

You’ve probably heard a lot of this before: make sure your resume and cover letter are perfectly edited, don’t post nasty pictures on Facebook, dress to impress for an interview, send thank you notes, be yourself, be confident, and build your network of contacts. I’m not saying this isn’t good advice, but that kind of stuff are no-brainers.

Unlike most jobs, internships are much easier to get (especially if you’re working for free). However, not all internships are the same. Some can get you a job with a great starting salary before you graduate college, which means you won’t have to move back in with your parents. What could be better than that?

But how do you land an internship like that? With so many candidates applying, how do you stand apart from the rest?

1. Know about the company you’re interviewing for

This is common sense advice that’s a frequent slip-up, so I’m going to talk about it.

Taking half an hour to browse a company’s website is not good enough. That’s like reading over a study guide for a test when you haven’t gone to class in three weeks.

Before you meet with an interviewer, you want to know the ins and outs of the company and its services. Who are their competitors? Are they successful? Have they ever been featured in the news? What are they known for? What can they improve on?

Interviewees who get the job are the ones who have ideas that they can bring to the table—and they aren’t afraid to express their opinion—respectfully, of course.

2. Use their products/services

There are some things you can play by ear in an interview, but not being familiar with a company’s web site, products, or services can be deal-breakers—because it’s so obvious.

Most interviewers are going to ask you why you want the internship. Responses like, “I love shopping on eBay,” “I’m the next Martha Stewart,” or “I’ve heard a ton of great things about Target,” seem like a good idea, but aren’t.

The best answers are ones about what you would like to change about the company—whether it’s a service you wish they had, or a flaw you’d like to fix. Employers want to hire people who will make a big, positive impact.

3. Know what industry you would fit in best

When researching for internships, it’s important to look for businesses who have what you want, and who offer you job experiences which will help you figure out what you ultimately want to do.

After you’ve figured that out, you can tell an interviewer what you’ve accomplished and talk about how you can benefit that company and why you are the best one for the job. In order to do that, you need to have a firm belief in yourself and your potential for greatness.

4. Be passionate

Being passionate is about doing your job even when you may not be getting paid.

How do you express that you’re passionate in a resume or cover letter?

Showcase your goals, accomplishments, and projects! This portrays that you have a genuine interest in developing skills, not just getting the job and making money. If you’ve created a website for yourself, started a small business, written an article, or started a club, publicize it on your resume. After all, a resume with nothing but GPA and honors societies is not unique or interesting. You have to have a certain je ne sais quoi that shows that you are eager and enthusiastic about what you do—not just taking classes and getting the “A”. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.